Evans Ride It

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I am thinking of doing a evans ride it sportive.
I am wondering how popular they are and is the route well marshalled and signposted
Most times when i do sportives i register on the day but i don't think that possible with the evans rides.

Which one?

lazybloke

Considering a new username
I did the North Downs sportive with Evans last year. About 70 miles, and many riders - a very long queue at the start to sign in.

No marshals, but the route was well signposted and there were GPS files available for download. They issued a map with the contact number for mechanical support or emergencies. was it worth paying? Probably not, but I reckon I'll do another one in the next year.

There was an option to just turn up on the day. IT cost slightly more and you didn't get a goody bag (mostly tat, but do check the website carefully, as some include a store voucher).

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I did one many years ago. I don't recall any level of organisation worth paying for. No feed station, marshals etc.

Th route was good but I could easily have planned it for myself. The numbers attending were small and I spent the ride on my own.

I've never been back and based on my experience couldn't recommend an Evans ride event. I would avoid it, plan your own route and save the entry fee for a cafe stop.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I've done a couple, and quite enjoyed them. One in S Wales a few years ago, and one out of Rochester or Chatham last year.

Signposts - if you use a GPS then download the route and use that. I didn't bother on the Medway one last year and my friend and I took an unscheduled detour up a big hill. Just remember you bear some responsibility for not getting yourself lost so don't go wool gathering like I did.

Marshals, I can't remember.

Food stops. The S Wales one was in a pub garden. It was brilliant and would stand comparison with the most generous of audaxes with a great array of cakes and sandwiches plus the ubiquitous gels. Medway one was a table in a car park. I don't remember much about it but no complaints. Both had access to toilets. I think there may have been mechanical assistance at both but as I didn't need it I didn't look.

I did these two as they provided a bit of focus for meeting up with friends. The S. Wales one I did with a friend who is way faster than me so I had to put a bit of effort in. The Medway one with a friend who was getting ready for Ride London 46 (shorter version) and wanted a bit of practice so I was in mentor mode.

I don't think I'd bother with one alone

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
There's info on your link.. and a this answer to a question ref marshalling...

Further to the previous reply, our courses are fully marked but not marshalled. The ride is not a race so you are expected to obey the highway code and stop at junctions.

The splits are marked with bigger, more obvious signage so you shouldn't miss these either

The drink stations are manned and help is available via the contact numbers on the maps/rider numbers/signs.

OP
OP
The Central Scrutinizer
Thanks Vickster :okay:

I should have looked at the questions :rolleyes:
I suppose my main concern is how many people will be doing the ride.
A few years ago i did a local century sportive and there were not many cyclists doing it.I was on my own for most of the ride in a strong headwind and i struggled.
I find in sportives it's always nice if you can pair up with a someone or a group.

vickster

Legendary Member
Thanks Vickster :okay:

I should have looked at the questions :rolleyes:
I suppose my main concern is how many people will be doing the ride.
A few years ago i did a local century sportive and there were not many cyclists doing it.I was on my own for most of the ride in a strong headwind and i struggled.
I find in sportives it's always nice if you can pair up with a someone or a group.
Why not just contact Evans and ask for expected/max numbers?

Open til 6
+44 (0) 1293 574 900

Oapil

Have done the Evans Cheshire 100k twice now. 2 feed stations, no marshals. Signs at ever junction. I thought it was well organised. I did the 100k forest sportive with wiggles last year. It was about the same as Evans. I got chatting to another cyclist at the registration queue and invited her to join our group. It is easy to make friends with fellow cyclists.

ukbabz

Über Member
I've only done one of their rides - a MTB event near Newbury on a very wet January. To be honest, I wouldn't rush back to it. The signage wasn't great, with a couple of places a trail dropping you onto a road without any warning - made more tricky by the wet. Haven't done any of the wiggle road ones for a while but always found they had a good balance of signs and marshals (although I may have gotten lost once or twice)

Top Bottom