Evans test rides ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The bike I am considering is £3k at Evans - for a 15 minute test ride they want a £750 deposit in advance - they have verbally told me this is refundable - is there a catch ? will they lean on me to buy the bike ?

(There is pretty much zero chance of me buying from Evans as I can get it much cheaper through the works scheme)

U

User33236

The bike I am considering is £3k at Evans - for a 15 minute test ride they want a £750 deposit in advance - they have verbally told me this is refundable - is there a catch ? will they lean on me to buy the bike ?

(There is pretty much zero chance of me buying from Evans as I can get it much cheaper through the works scheme)
I’ve test ridden a couple of bikes at Evans before buying and there was no pressure at all. If you like the bike buy it, if not, they are happy to let you walk away.

vickster

Legendary Member
I’ve never had to pay a deposit other than a 1p swipe on credit card although only bikes up to around £1500

Policy change? Although I don’t blame them. Can’t you try using the retailer you plan to actually buy from?

OP
OP
kingrollo

kingrollo

Guru
I’ve never had to pay a deposit other than a 1p swipe on credit card although only bikes up to around £1500

Policy change? Although I don’t blame them. Can’t you try using the retailer you plan to actually buy from?

Its a thought - but it would be through the works scheme. Worth an email though !

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Canthe works scheme use Evans? One of the big pluses of Evans is as well as letting you use schemes without paying an admin charge, they also price match and honour sale prices.

vickster

Legendary Member
Canthe works scheme use Evans? One of the big pluses of Evans is as well as letting you use schemes without paying an admin charge, they also price match and honour sale prices.
They barely price match anyone nowadays!

vickster

Legendary Member
its not cyclescheme. so YES
Is it just a company loan scheme or is it cycle to work, the limts on C2W are set by HMRC and can only be higher (without tax paid monies to top up from you) if your company has a consumer credit licence

Last edited:
OP
OP
kingrollo

kingrollo

Guru
Is it just a company loan scheme or is it cycle to work, the limts on C2W are set by HMRC and can only be higher (without tax paid monies to top up from you) if your company has a consumer credit licence

well the organisation i work for employs 8,000 people...i assume they have a ccl.

they advertise bikes up to around £10k on the scheme. I doubt they are making it up.

Crankarm

Guru
I went into Evans in Cambridge a few weeks ago wanting to test ride a Cube Hyde Race but unfortunately they only keep in their warehouse. I'd already called their customer services who told me it would be a £50 deposit on a £900 bike. As I wasn't sure on size possibly between two sizes they could get both in to store for me to try only paying £50 which would be refunded if I didn't by either of them. So I went into Evan's Cambridge store. First time 4 people already waiting at till and only one person serving, queue not moving, sales person looking very stressed. Waited and waited, but gave up and walked out. Went back later, same person but only two people a head of me waiting to be served. Eventually after an eternity it was my turn. The girl said there would be a 50% deposit to pay on BOTH sizes of the same bike if she ordered them. Told her this was not what their customer services had told me, only £50, and she told me no I need to pay £1k to get them in. She told me I would be refunded if I changed my mind. Tell you what I have changed my mind already. No deal. I'm not giving you £1k interest free just to test ride two bikes which might or might not fit.

I would say with an approach like this Evan's days are numbered. I haven't shopped there in ages and doesn't look like I have missed much. Anyway I went down the road to Townsends in Chesterton where a bike caught my eye. They were happy to let me test ride it for FREE.

OP
OP
kingrollo

kingrollo

Guru
to be fair it was a £3k bike....i dont mind leaving a £750 deposit. what i didnt like is i have to pay this amount before they even get the bike in.
i wouldn't mind paying £750 deposit on the day. but not in advance - with no firm promise of a date

Alan O

Über Member

I'd want a *lot* more than a 15 minute ride.

Top Bottom