Eventful ride this morning!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JhnBssll

Veteran
I rode the Wiggle Suffolk Spinner sportive this morning and it turned out to be the most eventful 62 miles I've had in some time :laugh:

I checked the weather this morning before setting off, 30% chance of light showers. I figured since it was already warm I would just wear bib shorts and short sleeve jersey as usual, if it rained I'd get wet but dry off quickly.

You can probably see where this is going already, but 10 miles in to the ride the heavens opened. Thunder, lightning and sideways rain :laugh: We decided we were safer on the road than under the trees where the majority of riders had decided to shelter so pushed on. It cascaded it down for about 20 minutes resulting in flash floods along the entire route, a foot deep in places :ohmy: We slowed the pace as the rain had washed detritis across the tarmac but 20 miles in the inevitable happened; *pop* *tshhhhhhhhhh...* :rolleyes:

On inspection I found a decent sized slice in the tubeless tire, much more than the sealant could deal with. Fortunately i had the little gummy ropes for fixing the larger holes with me so got to try them out for the first time. They worked a treat so off we went again.

Until 5 miles later *pop* *tshhhhh...* another one :laugh: Fixed and away a little quicker this time but this cut was a little larger than the first and the repair didn't hold for long; *pop* *tshhhhhh...* :rolleyes::laugh: Fixed again and off we went.

At the second rest stop I had to borrow the mechanics chain lube as the storm had stripped it clean and it had started making an ungodly noise :blink: I asked if it was the dry lube I'd used but he said in those conditions it made very little difference :laugh:

5 miles from the finish I heard the dreaded *pop* *tshhhhh...* again and had to stick yet another little gummy rope in to the second cut to get me over the line - I think it's fair to say I could do with a new tire now :laugh:

So 62 miles, torrential sideways rain, thunder and lightning, 4 punctures and one of the most entertaining rides I've had in a long while :becool: I genuinely enjoyed the whole experience :okay:

Oh, and despite all that we managed a 16mph average which I'm thrilled with :okay:

I think this tire needs replacing:
20180728_174602.jpg
20180728_174521.jpg

I got my bike dirty :sad:
20180728_174616.jpg

You must have got the storm that was forecast for Peterborough :ohmy:

Crankarm

Guru
Well I look at the weather forecast and decided today there was no way I was riding, putting myself or indeed others at risk by riding. I certainly would not have enjoyed being blown all over the road and possible soaked. Nope I've done all that before. Rather stay at home watching the TT of the penultimate day of the TdF.

Top Bottom