Ever seen a hub like this?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
It's a sort of two speed single speed, if you see what I mean.

It was secured by a Shimano HG-70 lockring, so I thought once I got that off it would just slide off the hub, but no. It seems to be fixed on somehow...the lockring didn't seem to be making any difference.

It's on the middle of a 26" Rigida wheel, wide rim, with a fat tyre on it. Anyone have any idea what it might be?

hub3.jpg
hub1.jpg
hub2.jpg

Globalti

Legendary Member
Nice home-made bodge! The grey bits are spacers from a cassette, dunno what the white bits are.

As for not coming off.... it's all rusted up so I bet the plastic spacers have siezed or moved and locked onto the freehub. Just give it some welly.

simon.r

Person
I think the outer cog is screwed into the freewheel. Try undoing that (anti-clockwise) and everything else should slide off. It looks like a fairly standard hub and freewheel.

Globalti

Legendary Member
It's not a freewheeel, it's a freehub body, very rusty, with some spacers taking the place of the cogs. A screwdriver tapped down the back into the slots between the freehub tabs should free them off.

simon.r

Person
Sorry, you're right. it's a freehub. Sure I remember some cassettes having the smallest cog threaded and screwing into the freehub?

andrew_s

Legendary Member
The original Uniglide freehubs had the sprockets secured by a screw-on top gear sprocket. For some time after the current Hyperglide sprockets were introduced, freehubs had both an internal lockring thread and an external uniglide sprocket thread so you could fit either type of cassette.

To get a screw-on sprocket off, you'll need 2 chainwhips, one to unscrew the sprocket, and one to stop the freehub just spinning.

Having said all that, it doesn't look like a screw-on uniglide sprocket. I don't remember them having the ridges for the lockring.

Top Bottom