Ever want another ebike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Leemi1982

Hi I bought my ebike back in may I’m on it most days it’s only a entry level carrera vengeance ebike but it’s fine for me, ok it’s not the best on hills And I wouldn’t take it on the trails as the fear of breaking something . But the battery’s been fine for me I just switch power on And off when I feel I need some assist. however its a cheap ebike and always keep thinking how longs it going to last it has a cheap suntour motor and probably a cheap Chinese battery. Oh and it’s from Halfords so might as well forget any warranty on it.

I started looking at more expensive ebikes and can’t help but think.... I want that.... but why?? The one I have is perfectly fine for me... wait for it to die then upgrade. But The urge to upgrade is getting stronger.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
I think ebikes from Halford come with a 2 year warrantee so plenty of time to see about their reliability.

Hi I bought my ebike back in may I’m on it most days it’s only a entry level carrera vengeance ebike but it’s fine for me, ok it’s not the best on hills And I wouldn’t take it on the trails as the fear of breaking something . But the battery’s been fine for me I just switch power on And off when I feel I need some assist. however its a cheap ebike and always keep thinking how longs it going to last it has a cheap suntour motor and probably a cheap Chinese battery. Oh and it’s from Halfords so might as well forget any warranty on it.

I started looking at more expensive ebikes and can’t help but think.... I want that.... but why?? The one I have is perfectly fine for me... wait for it to die then upgrade. But The urge to upgrade is getting stronger.
Even us non-e bikers get the urge you know! The MTB, gravel and roadies in my stable are hankering after a companion. Just had a (very) expensive holiday cancelled and the urge to buy 'Bike No.4' is becomming unbearable :wacko:

Drago

Legendary Member
The suntour HESC motor is far from cheap, and with 50NM it's one of the more torque laden legal units available. It's a well regarded and reliable geared motor, manufacturer in Taiwan. You simply won't be going any quicker or feeling any more grunt from any other bike with legal power - if it ain't getting you up the hills then the only legal way to remedy that is to pedal harder.

The battery is made by STL in Taiwan, one of the worlds premier battery manufacturers. Nothing wrong with that at all. The only caveat is that the charging connector is a weak point, but this year they've switched to a different system with uses a docking port that engages the same pins on the battery that the bike does.

It won't fall apart off road. Carrera have a reputation for slightly staid, but perfectly useable and robust mountain bikes.

The weak point is the controller and torque sensor on that model, and they do have a history of being problematic and causing cutting out or breakdowns. On the plus side, the drive system, and battery have a 2 year warranty and Halfords - for a change - have a good reputation for fixing them without complaint, and Suntour spares support to Halfords is said to be reasonable, albeit a little slow in these C19 times.

It's actually not a bad stater ebike. Something twice as expensive may have more sophisticated suspension, better brakes or posher geartrain, but it'll still only be delivering 250W, and quite possibly less torque.

Last edited:

gbb

Legendary Member
The Suntour system does seem beefy but with a niggle, the occasional cut outs lots of people seem to get. Mine does occasionally but it doesnt really cause a major issue, more a slight irritation...and that's the worst thing I can say about my Crossfire e. The rest of it seems sturdy, reliable and in 3000 miles, all that's shown a problem is my BB and I fixed that myself FOC.
One contributor on here has 6000 miles iirc on his suntour setup so it's not weak.

I think the Carerra ebikes represent really really good value, power and reliability for the money they actually cost, with a slight niggle that I can certainly live with.

theloafer

Legendary Member
[QUOTE
[/QUOTE]

i got around this problem ..went and got the best for what i wanted it to do so no upgrade needed ^_^^_^
reise and muller supercharger gx roholff

CXRAndy

Guru
[QUOTE

i got around this problem ..went and got the best for what i wanted it to do so no upgrade needed ^_^^_^
reise and muller supercharger gx roholff
[/QUOTE]

I'm thinking of selling a 1300 cc motorcycle to get the 2021 1250W/hr 28mph R&M Superdelite :ohmy:

Last edited:
I must confess I love my Raleigh Strada.

It does everything I want and the great weather has seen me belting around in the woods. So I would love a e-mtb, but just not sure how much use it would get really.

Also sometimes I would like a lighter road bike with some assist, but the good ones are very expensive and tbh I cant seem them being that much better than what I have.

Also e-gears have been a great revelation.

Top Bottom