Everesting

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
The hill he chose was called the Teufelsberg, but I don't know how big it is. There are about a zillion strava segments with that name.
I looked it up. It has a very interesting history - Wikipedia article.

At the end of WWII there were an awful lot of bombed buildings in Berlin which needed to be demolished. Unfortunately, the Berlin Wall went up so it wasn't possible to get the rubble out of that part of the city, so they created a man-made hill from it - the Teufelsberg!

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I looked it up. It has a very interesting history - Wikipedia article.

At the end of WWII there were an awful lot of bombed buildings in Berlin which needed to be demolished. Unfortunately, the Berlin Wall went up so it wasn't possible to get the rubble out of that part of the city, so they created a man-made hill from it - the Teufelsberg!

Thanks. That's interesting. I'd actually heard of it, I just didn't realise that was what he was riding up. And according to wiki it's 80m above the surroundings so he'll have needed 110 ascents.

ColinJ

Hmm, there was me thinking that our long local hillclimb of Cragg Vale would be good for this, but no - it would take 32 ascents and a total distance of 544 km!

Yikes, even doing it the steeper way up from Littleborough would take about 39 ascents and 300+ km of riding ...

That is one very tough challenge! :eek:

Starchivore

I don't know much about Cinco de Mayo
Hmm, there was me thinking that our long local hillclimb of Cragg Vale would be good for this, but no - it would take 32 ascents and a total distance of 544 km!

Yikes, even doing it the steeper way up from Littleborough would take about 39 ascents and 300+ km of riding ...

I remember a couple of years ago there was a challenge being done on Cragg to see how many ascents could be made over 24 hours (as a group). I think a club organised it- you had to take a little ball from a bucket at the bottom and deposit it at the top. I couldn't take part as I was at uni and busy unfortunately, it would have been interesting to see how difficult the ascents got after the fourth one.....!

Well what can I say...it was really really hard! but the sense of achievement afterwards and knowing that you have become a member of a very exclusive club is amazing.
I hope by putting this in the forum it will inspire other riders to give it a crack, the founder Andy Van Bergen has a clip on Youtube and says that over 51% of people that attempt an Everesting don't make it.
That just gave me more motivation to do it and hopefully will do for others as well. Don't get me wrong the stats don't lie and it was the hardest thing I have ever done BUT it is in your hands.
It took me around 17 hours moving time but 26 hours in total...a lot of that time was wasted with Garmin problems, needing better lights, longer breaks because of my knee's etc etc.

The body starts to shut down at a certain point and then it's all a mind game....how strong is yours.

I hope to read some other people's Everesting achievements in this forum soon.

https://app.strava.com/activities/338859063

www.everesting.cc
Fair play to you sir! I once did Greg Lemonds training route over the Rockies and literally 'touched the void' not nice and Cheshire is a whole lot easier!

nickyboy

Norven Mankey

The most efficient way to do is find a hill as steep as you can reasonably manage with good turning points at top and bottom. Wait for a day with a strong tailwind

Cragg Vale is terrible for it as you're having to overcome a lot of air resistance as you're going quite fast. You go much slower up steeper hills so air resistance is much less, you're really only overcoming gravity

ColinJ

The most efficient way to do is find a hill as steep as you can reasonably manage with good turning points at top and bottom. Wait for a day with a strong tailwind

Cragg Vale is terrible for it as you're having to overcome a lot of air resistance as you're going quite fast. You go much slower up steeper hills so air resistance is much less, you're really only overcoming gravity
You are right, of course, but I don't think we are built for 8,000+ m of steep climbing in one session! :whistle: :laugh:

ColinJ

I'd forgotten posting that!

I came back on this thread to tell you that @Littgull's son Matthew did it last week, and on that very climb. Brian is too modest to blow his family trumpet but I know that he is very proud of his son's achievement. Matthew trained very hard for it and I have been hearing progress reports for months now, but I still thought it would be a real struggle to get it done.

Matthew did the sensible thing and cut out the gentle start to the climb and concentrated his ride on the upper half which averages over 7%. That increased the number of repeats needed to 47 but reduced the total distance to 283 km. The rules don't set a time limit, just that the rider must not sleep during the attempt, but I think Matthew wanted to complete his ride inside 24 hours - he took 23 hours and 13 minutes.

Link to the Everesting Hall of Fame. The website didn't work properly for me using Firefox but is fine using Chrome. PS I couldn't find a way to link directly to an individual rider - search for Hew Peirce.

Chapeau to (Matt)Hew and all the other glorious crazy people who undertake this gruelling challenge!

Top Bottom