Everything seems to need a software update these days

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I'd agree with all of that @swee'pea99 except for Google Assistant, its absolutely brilliant. Once you try it you'll be using it all the time. Its lightning fast and streets ahead of Siri which is on my iPad.

aferris2

Guru
If you google windows update problems 1803, I think its 1803, theres a website listing all the known problems with links on fixes.
Did that and there are LOTS of bogus suggestions. I think I might be beginning to get somewhere now though. Fingers crossed!
The thing that really bugs me though is that you can't opt out (with the Home version). Thought I would try to avoid a disaster on the other Win10 laptop and uninstall Avast before WIndows could update. Switched on, sign-in and "Updating your Computer... Do not switch off" pops up. Fortunately it updated without problems.

aferris2

Guru
Well, it has finished...
I have a working computer.
I can run applications.
All of the icons on the start bar have gone
All of the documents are gone
All of the pictures are gone.

Thanks Microsoft!
(I do have a backup)

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I'd agree with all of that @swee'pea99 except for Google Assistant, its absolutely brilliant. Once you try it you'll be using it all the time. Its lightning fast and streets ahead of Siri which is on my iPad.
I did try it. And hated it. It was clearly giving me results skewed by advertising. I like my google searches neat.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I think a lot of you are looking back with very rose tinted spectacles. Tech of yesteryear was often far, far more of a pain to get working than now. Do you not remember loading via a tape on your spectrum, manually setting a video to record or searching for drivers for Windows 3.1?
Erm.... you've not given this much thought have you. What has manually setting a video to record or loading a spectrum game got to do with software updates?

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Erm.... you've not given this much thought have you. What has manually setting a video to record or loading a spectrum game got to do with software updates?

More thought than you clearly, because I at least read the OP, which states.

"I used to be all for technology/computers/software control systems and things like that. There are many benefits but sometimes I sure miss the days when you got a video tape or DVD rental and it just worked. There was no resetting routers, there was no buffering issues, there was no "pay extra for HD" (HD, there's another joke). I remember the days when you user to muck around with your computer and you was called a nerd. Nowadays everyone stares at their phones while walking into the road."

classic33

Leg End Member

"I used to be all for technology/computers/software control systems and things like that. There are many benefits but sometimes I sure miss the days when you got a video tape or DVD rental and it just worked. There was no resetting routers, there was no buffering issues, there was no "pay extra for HD" (HD, there's another joke). I remember the days when you user to muck around with your computer and you was called a nerd. Nowadays everyone stares at their phones while walking into the road."
There's an app for that!

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll

which also has nothing to do with software updates.

A massive cyber attack from Russia or Iran will be the prelude to Armageddon.

Two days ago there was an exploit found that could potentially affect 800,000 devices including Draytek routers. Today an exploit was revealed that infected 500,000 routers of various makes including Cisco. The upshot among others is internet denial, self destruction of the router, or all traffic from the victim's network being run through the scumbag servers for data harvesting.

By the way, remember the Meltdown and Spectre exploits for processors? No more headlines but now there's at least two more exploits been found.

It's a big world full of governments, corporations, hacking groups and general scum just itching to embarrass, steal, take over or destroy as much as they can. All the updates are the desperate attempts by the white hats to patch the holes.

Top Bottom