Evils of the Headwind

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Wasnt windy when I set off this morning... but MAN was it blowy after I was within a mile from work. I really struggled and in the end had to just give up and get off the bike. Walked around the corner to a quieter road and away from the headwind.

Its almost as if someone is putting their hands on your chest and saying "where d'ya think you're going, my son?!"

Add to that I'm knackered. Really doesnt help getting into work and having to graft because the private firm that bought us out has decided we dont need 4 staff on wash-up, we can "easily" make do with 2. They then moan that clean crockery isnt getting down to them. Dimwits.

Oh and I had my first taste of canti-squeal today. Riding down hill, right at the bottom of the hill is a mini-rab, I go to brake and "AEEEEEAAAARRRRRRSSSSQQUEEELLLLL..!!" :laugh: Scared the hell out of the driver in front of me. :biggrin:

scouserinlondon

downfader said:
Wasnt windy when I set off this morning... but MAN was it blowy after I was within a mile from work. I really struggled and in the end had to just give up and get off the bike. Walked around the corner to a quieter road and away from the headwind.

Its almost as if someone is putting their hands on your chest and saying "where d'ya think you're going, my son?!"

Add to that I'm knackered. Really doesnt help getting into work and having to graft because the private firm that bought us out has decided we dont need 4 staff on wash-up, we can "easily" make do with 2. They then moan that clean crockery isnt getting down to them. Dimwits.

Oh and I had my first taste of canti-squeal today. Riding down hill, right at the bottom of the hill is a mini-rab, I go to brake and "AEEEEEAAAARRRRRRSSSSQQUEEELLLLL..!!" :laugh: Scared the hell out of the driver in front of me. :biggrin:

Bloody annoying headwind all week in London imo.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
The number of times that I've battled headwinds in the morning thinking that I'll enjoy a helping hand on the way home, only to find it's changed direction. The big man upstairs must be 'aving a rite laff'.

XmisterIS

Purveyor of fine nonsense
downfader said:

Oh and I had my first taste of canti-squeal today. Riding down hill, right at the bottom of the hill is a mini-rab, I go to brake and "AEEEEEAAAARRRRRRSSSSQQUEEELLLLL..!!" :biggrin: Scared the hell out of the driver in front of me. :sad:

Headwinds are there to make you appreciate tailwinds when you get 'em! I got the tailwind today. (smug mode engaged) :laugh:

Talking of scaring people, wait till your tyre explodes - that happened to me a while back ... BANG!!!! The chap on the pavement who I was passing nearly shat himself! He actually let out a little man-scream. I thought it was funny until it dawned on me that my tyre was shredded and I was nowhere near a bike shop. :biggrin:

Will1985

Über Member
I didn't get a tailwind this morning - it was in my face then, and returning just now it was even harder. Down to 28km/h from a usual 36km/h on a 2km flat stretch on 74" fixed. It kills the legs.

steve52

I'm back! Yippeee
i rode from leicester to alford to see mum met brothe half way ish, i had a 15/20 mph head wind all the bloody way! brother just grined and said on the way out he was doing 23 mph when not peadeling!!! bah

gouldina

scouserinlondon said:
Bloody annoying headwind all week in London imo.

Aye. It was bad on the way home tonight and I really wasn't in the mood for it. Seemed to be against me in the morning too going the other way. How does that work?

OP
OP
downfader

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
XmisterIS said:
Headwinds are there to make you appreciate tailwinds when you get 'em! I got the tailwind today. (smug mode engaged) :wacko:

Talking of scaring people, wait till your tyre explodes - that happened to me a while back ... BANG!!!! The chap on the pavement who I was passing nearly shat himself! He actually let out a little man-scream. I thought it was funny until it dawned on me that my tyre was shredded and I was nowhere near a bike shop. :biggrin:

Love the tailwinds, though sometimes they push me a little hard and I have to keep riding the brakes.

Have had a tyre explode before too. Rode over something and wheel went up about an inch off the ground and an almighty bang. Turned out I'd hit a screw and it had jammed in the tyre, through into the rim and buckled the whole alex rim. It was like the brakes being jammed on too, still dont know how I managed to stop.

Fenland headwinds are marvels. They don't wait until you've been at your destination for any appreciable length of time before turning around, oh no, they blow from both directions at the same time!! Nothing else can explain how you can turn a complete 180 in the fens, from a headwind.............into a headwind ?

Plax

Guru
I had a horrid headwind today as well. Home time was the worst, I was getting buffeted about like nobodies business. At least it wasn't raining as well which is what usually happens around here.

Top Bottom