Ex pro bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
D

Domdom1980

K10s was his Roubaix bike:eek: barge pole
I think that might have been my subconscious thought that held me back, I would imagine that after the roubaix it would have been seriously compromised. There was also an ex Bernal F10 from 2019 but I don't have the same fondness for the young Colombian.

I think that might have been my subconscious thought that held me back, I would imagine that after the roubaix it would have been seriously compromised. There was also an ex Bernal F10 from 2019 but I don't have the same fondness for the young Colombian.

Is the F10 still available ? and was it an Xlight ?

OP
OP
D

Domdom1980

Is the F10 still available ? and was it an Xlight ?
From the info I have it is an F10 from 2019, but they also have a x light from another sky rider (can't remember who but the sizing was well out for me so I didn't pay too much attention)

Velochris

Über Member
If it comes with tubular wheels and tyres, you'd have to use them.

Otherwise you are buying new or replacing wheels, which means you are then not riding his bike any more.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Most of the ex-pro bikes I have seen in the flesh are really battered and either come with crappy wheels or as mentioned about tubs. I am 6’4” so won’t find a pro bike that fits.

OP
OP
D

Domdom1980

I'm surprised they're still using them, TBH. You'd think given they have the puncture resistance of a wet paper bag, that they would place more emphasis on reliability and not having potentially a winning ride ruined by getting a flat.
Isn't it a weight thing? No tube so some weight saving, as well as being able to continue with a puncture and not have a catastrophic failure at high speed? Gives them time to continue riding (although at a slower pace) whilst the team car catches up. We'll, that's what I thought anyway.

But of no use to me on the road as I'd have no idea how to change, and I'd be buggered if I was 50k or more away from home as sadly I don't have a team car with a spare bike!

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
The weight saving with tubs comes from the rim, which is much lighter than any rim for wired-on tyres. Tubular tyres do have a tube (latex in all but the cheapest and nastiest).

Tubs are great if you have a pro mechanic to do all the messy stuff, and a car full of spare wheels on call.

screenman

Legendary Member
The weight saving with tubs comes from the rim, which is much lighter than any rim for wired-on tyres. Tubular tyres do have a tube (latex in all but the cheapest and nastiest).

Tubs are great if you have a pro mechanic to do all the messy stuff, and a car full of spare wheels on call.

Many of us oldies rode with tubs for years back in our younger days.

mustang1

Guru

Teamfixed

Tim Lewis
This isn't something I had ever thought you could easily do.... where are they advertised?
I couldn't spend that amount, An older 531 Eddy or Bernard would be nice though!

Last edited:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
As Skippy says, they are trashed, just like in mororsport.

We went to a British GT at Oulton park, and the mechanics were taping the Bently GT racers back together, and sticking rivets in to keep them going.

I'd personally have to inspect the bike if I wanted it. I'd burn a Lance Armstrong bike though ! :whistle:

Top Bottom