Exage vintage wheels refurbish?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Milzy

Guru
I was thinking my old bear valley Exage wheels could do with truing. Lots of the spokes seem a bit pitted, discoloured & rough textured now. Is it worth having them took to my LBS for brand new spokes and truing? The hubs run smooth and roll on forever.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
New spokes will look better but the old ones are functional to a degree
My similar aged Bear Valley is still on original spokes

Jameshow

Veteran
I was thinking my old bear valley Exage wheels could do with truing. Lots of the spokes seem a bit pitted, discoloured & rough textured now. Is it worth having them took to my LBS for brand new spokes and truing? The hubs run smooth and roll on forever.

A kitchen scourer with a bit of 3 I 1 oil will remove pitting to spokes and make them seem like new!

It's an achievable and interesting experience to rebuild your wheels with nice stainless spokes. And Exage hubs are really good! You don't need to upgrade them.

I would buy spokes and a rim. Once rebuilt, they will be at least as good as any replacement wheels you'll get for the same money, and you'll have a new skill.

Big John

Guru
How many spoke holes in the hub? By the time you've bought stainless (far better than galvanised) spokes and a rim you're already looking at 'new wheel' prices. I build wheels at work and even building them yourself can work out more expensive than buying new. If you have a suitable spare rim knocking about and enough spokes hanging around then the job is worth doing. If money is an issue look for a local bike charity like one I work at. We have used wheelsets for £30. Singles for £15. All good quality, plenty-of-life-left wheels. We can't be the only bike charity offering used wheels. I've got Exage hubs on one of my bikes too. Good hubs, old but good. Worth keeping.

Top Bottom