Excel HELP !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yenrod

If I sum cells horizontally what stops the actual sum displaying in a cell to the right of the summed cells as those below and above are ok ie displaying !!!

Anyone :blush:

is the cell formatted as a number? It's not a date or summat is it?

davidwalton

yenrod said:
If I sum cells horizontally what stops the actual sum displaying in a cell to the right of the summed cells as those below and above are ok ie displaying !!!

Anyone :blush:

I always enter the sum as @sum(a1..c1) etc. It then knows it is a calculation rather than a label entry. If you want @sum(a1..c1) to actually display, then enter it as '@sum(a1..c1) (notice the '). This tels Excel and most other spreadsheets you are entering text label.

Excel and other spreadsheet software recognises certain start entries. Enter a letter and it enters it as text. Enter a number, and it enters it as a value. Enter a calculation and it displays the result of the calculation. you can over ride these as needed, as well as change how cells display by changing their formatting.

Note: I am a Lotus 123 man, hence I enter things slightly different, ie. as 123 always wanted it. works OK with others though. Can enter for excel as @sum(A1:C1) as well.

Hello Yenrod, calling Yenrod, is there anyone there?........??!!

It's no good he's been sucked into a circular reference. It could be months before he comes out.

bonj2

I'm almost certainly likely to be able to solve it for you yenners if you explain a bit better/in more detail about what the problem is / what you're trying to do.

KitsuneAndy

Make the column wider :blush:

It just displays as a series of #'s if the answer is too long to fit.

OP
OP
Y

yenrod

I'm displaying the sum as this: =SUM(F45:N45)

The actual sum is displaying on 'O'

I've got entries from ROW 7 - 53 and 38, 40, 43 + 45 are not displaying...!

Each Col is summed from F to N and like I said 6 to 53 rows.

OP
OP
Y

yenrod

I had the cell to display it as Category and the Format as a No. BUT yet the variant on this was off...

13.50 but should have displayed as to add to 14 even though the entry is 13.50 !

Technical, Technical, Technical, Technical, Technical, Technical, Technical, Technical, Technical, Technical, Technical, Technical, Technical, Technical, Technical, Technical, Technical, Technical, Technical, Technical, Technical, Technical, Technical, Technical, Technical, Technical, Technical, Technical, Technical, Technical, Technical, Technical, Technical, Technical, Technical, Technical, Technical, Technical,....

:smile: - bloody Microsoft !!!! :blush:

Crackle said:
is the cell formatted as a number? It's not a date or summat is it?

KitsuneAndy

yenrod said:
I'm displaying the sum as this: =SUM(F45:N45)

The actual sum is displaying on 'O'

I've got entries from ROW 7 - 53 and 38, 40, 43 + 45 are not displaying...!

Each Col is summed from F to N and like I said 6 to 53 rows.

What do you mean by 'not displaying'?

The Cell is blank? or has symbols in it?

Edit:

Just read your previous response, glad you sorted it!

As Epicurus said; copy say, cell 36 (ctrl C) and paste into cell 38 (ctrl P).

Also right click on a cell that doesn't work and click format. What does it say it is? Number, text, what? Whatever it says compare it with the other cell that does work.

Finally, something else to check: Go to the Tools menu, Options and click the calculation tab. Ensure Automatic is selected and not manual. This sometimes happens if a spreadsheet is created/saved as an earlier version or passed on from someone who didn't have this option checked.

Right, let us know what happens.

Top Bottom