Excessively noisy motorbike exhaust

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
I vaguely know which street he lives in but no address. I think I'd be better off waiting for his luck to run out and getting pulled by traffic cops.
Yes it would be easier if you could safely follow him and find out the address. Then if you put a complaint in, at least you have registered it. Could you speak to your neighbours and ask them to complain as well? If you do nothing then I don't think I'd hold out much hope for him being stopped and dealt with.

a.twiddler

Veteran
Too loud, too quiet. Sounds like the owner of a vehicle can't please anyone these days.

How about cars then? There are a number of young drivers (and older ones too) around my area who are noticeable by their exhaust noise, some not only loud, but set up to explosively pop and crackle on the over run. Then there are the ones with modified turbos which produce a sudden whoosh of sound presumably from the waste gate or whatever the terminology is, who drive in such a way to make it happen frequently. It wouldn't be so bad if they were just passing through, but they often seem to just drive around in a circuit of our small town. Probably their quieter mates do the same, but they're not so conspicuous. I have a strong feeling that few of them travel very far on a regular basis.

Having ridden motor bikes for over half a century now I have to remember being young once and experimentally riding around with the exhaust baffles removed, etc but I used to regularly ride long distances then and I soon came to the conclusion that giving yourself a headache because of the noise was not conducive to relaxing travel. So for years for me, quieter has been better.

In the coming years with the disappearance of the internal combustion engine I wonder what other ways young ne'er do wells will find to noisily annoy their neighbours.

southcoast

Über Member
As a motorcyclist myself, I'd like to see bikes which are far enough above the noise limit to cause a nuisance to everyone else confiscated and crushed.

Thank you for your sensible measured response?
What is even more amazing is four people actually gave this this a thumbs up? Not sure if this is tragic or hilarious, probably both in equal measure?

What is even more amazing is four people actually gave this this a thumbs up? Not sure if this is tragic or hilarious, probably both in equal measure?
Perhaps not enough people on here are affected to care?

I've ridden bikes for 35 yrs and had plenty of loud exhausts, including a Ducati with open silencers and bikes with awful ear splitting 2 stroke expansion Chambers.

It's where people choose to 'open it up' that's the problem in my opinion, built up areas with lots of people about you're asking to be looked at as a nobber.

I wouldn't be ars*d reporting anyone, let alone following them and finding out where they live?

Chill baby!

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Perhaps not enough people on here are affected to care?

I've ridden bikes for 35 yrs and had plenty of loud exhausts, including a Ducati with open silencers and bikes with awful ear splitting 2 stroke expansion Chambers.

It's where people choose to 'open it up' that's the problem in my opinion, built up areas with lots of people about you're asking to be looked at as a nobber.

I wouldn't be ars*d reporting anyone, let alone following them and finding out where they live?

Chill baby!
Indeed. It's not hard to run a gear higher in built up areas and keep the noise down a little. 30 in 3rd is not the same result as 30 in 1st

Thank you for your sensible measured response?
While one can agree that it is an extreme measure, you appear to be approving “ bikes which are far enough above the noise limit to cause a nuisance” which is equally unreasonable

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
I would find where he lives, put on my tightest muscle vest, and pop round for a friendly chat.
You going to invite him to join the village people? :laugh:

Chief Broom

Veteran
Behold and hear the fearless travelling warrior! .....is what the motorcyclist with an ear splitting exhaust is imagining. The reality? Behold! The loud arrival and departure of a child grown tall! :laugh:

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
An action level is basically a noise exposure level at which employers are required to take certain steps to reduce the harmful effects of noise on hearing. There are two main action levels for continuous noise are 80 and 85db. Quick test is if you cannot hear someone 1m from you. At 85dB, you must wear hearing protection.
Pardon?
Spent fifteen years bent over a 120 dB chainsaw. All and every hearing protection invented was little use to keep that thing from ruining at least one ear. So now, waspish exhausts and Nox switch wastegate blatters along the A road I reside beside are humdrum background. Danke schoen, Herr Stihl.
I love these threads. There is simply nothing you can do, apart from get busy worrying about something more urgent, like famine, world peace, or the outside possibility that Drago might turn up in a singlet with a baseball bat to help you kneecap the nuisance. In which case, we need a new photo thread : My bike in front of a kneecapped scrote.
For once, Shep has it right. Chill baby. Or get a yet bigger and noisier thing and go round their gaff in the dead of night. I can lend you a rainforest hardwood ported Stihl 88, but you will need Dragonian biceps to get it running

Top Bottom