excited newbie

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
hello everyone. i got my first bike just before christmas but due to all the bad weather didnt get much cycling done. over the last couple of months i have endevoured to get fit. after a slow start (had to build up slowly as poor fitness and saddle sore issues!)i am loving my bike and i am frightening myself as the bike is very fast and i am very wobbly. i have fallen off but managed to keep my bike in the air as i didnt want to spoil the lovely paint job. anyway i did my furthest ride yet this weekend at 35 miles average speed of 13mph. my bike is not only toning my legs but it makes me feel like a kid again, cant be bad eh!;)

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
welcome to CycleChat.

35 miles and 13mph avg.
That's very impressive for someone on their first bike.. Well done and keep it up.. It can only get better.
Which bike is it btw?

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
Welcome, HG! (most get their usernames abbreviated in some way).

Glad to hear you're enjoying it, and sounds like you're doing well for a complete bgeinner! As Ian says, what bike have you bought?

hobbygirl said:
hello everyone. i got my first bike just before christmas

Hello HG and welcome to the forum! :tongue:

How old are you? Six?! ;)

hobbygirl said:
anyway i did my furthest ride yet this weekend at 35 miles average speed of 13mph.

Joking aside, that's quite an impressive distance and time for your furthest ride after not very long on two wheels!

You'll soon be chalking up big miles and wondering what the fuss was about.

Keep your eyes open for a CC ride in your neighbourhood! :biggrin:

Globalti

Legendary Member
Well done but what about those saddle sores? Have you sorted them? Are you using padded shorts with nothing underneath? What about the height and position of the saddle? These can make a big difference to your saddle comfort and - I'm sorry to say this - it takes a bit of time and experience to get everything set up right. There are so many things you can change or adjust to make your bike fit you and the more experienced cyclists on this forum are here to help you.

Are you riding alone or with a buddy? Riding with somebody else helps the miles to pass and helps with the fitness as it can get a bit competitive.

OP
OP
hobbygirl

hobbygirl

thanks all for the messages , i have a specialized dolce this years model and i love it. i go alone sometimes specially in the week and with my hubby at weekends. the kids come on short runs trying to get them fit. i do like cycling on my own not sure about cc as i dont like big groups of people and i am a bit wobbly, dont like when they ride all bunched up would be nervous about knocking someone off! the saddle issue is much better gets better with every run. thanks for advice.

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
hobbygirl said:
thanks all for the messages , i have a specialized dolce this years model and i love it. i go alone sometimes specially in the week and with my hubby at weekends. the kids come on short runs trying to get them fit. i do like cycling on my own not sure about cc as i dont like big groups of people and i am a bit wobbly, dont like when they ride all bunched up would be nervous about knocking someone off! the saddle issue is much better gets better with every run. thanks for advice.
CC rides are a gentle paced affair... no bunch sprints or anything, mostly 2 abreast (if the road allows) whilst chatting. Relaxed riding with (usually) a Cafe stop en route. Smashing! :girl:

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Hallo and welcome :laugh:

Warning cycling is addictive and can seriously improve your health! ;)

colly

Re member eR
Hi hobbygirl,

Welcome along ;)

hobbygirl said:
i have fallen off but managed to keep my bike in the air as i didnt want to spoil the lovely paint job.

Clearly you have the right attitude and will go far.:laugh::biggrin:

Top Bottom