Exercise bike routine

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

markstev27

Hi all

In order to keep fit I've got a magnetic exercise bike

Any good suggestions for an exercise plan to do on it? Distance, hills etc

I normally cycle many miles
Thanks

vickster

Legendary Member
Distance doesn’t really happen on a static bike as you don’t go anywhere ;)
Try intervals? Google HIIT
Exercise bikes are no substitute for cycling, just continue to get out there

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
If you already cycle many miles we can assume endurance isn’t your objective or training aim as you already have that covered. What do you want to improve at, specifically?

are you anticipating not doing much outdoor riding in the winter, hence the ‘keep fit’ part?

DRM

Guru
Let's not go over this again. My best fitness has come from riding consistently on a turbo trainer over a winter period. Many thousands use turbo trainers to achieve great results
Got to agree, the turbo trainer is great for the ability to keep your fitness up over the grottiest days of winter, so your not starting from scratch come spring

Distance doesn’t really happen on a static bike as you don’t go anywhere ;)
Try intervals? Google HIIT
Exercise bikes are great for improving fitness. Work hard outside to enjoy your outside rides more.

I do know of people that do all their training inside and only go outside to race - but that's just weird. They are American though.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
They'd still be weird even if they weren't American. They don't have a monopoly on weirdness. Indoor "cycling" is weird no matter what.

Joffey

Big Dosser
Let's not go over this again. My best fitness has come from riding consistently on a turbo trainer over a winter period. Many thousands use turbo trainers to achieve great results

Exactly this Andy. As a keen Zwift rider I'd even argue that indoor Zwift miles are harder than outdoor 'real' miles.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
They'd still be weird even if they weren't American. They don't have a monopoly on weirdness. Indoor "cycling" is weird no matter what.
The OP has specifically created a post to ask for advice about it though. I don't think it's weird and plenty of others don't either. If you don't have endless time on your hands and especially in bad weather it is far more of an efficient way to maintain or improve fitness. Not every body's cup of tea, of course but I don't think it can really be described as weird - the world has moved on these days...

vickster

Legendary Member
He’s asking about an exercise bike though not a turbo trainer. Yes you can likely get fit using one sticking with the right programme (intervals, varying resistance being careful about set up) but none I’ve ever used are anything like cycling outdoors 🤷‍♀️

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I'd agree with this only in so far as the views, banter and cafes, aren't as good on the turbo trainer.

It is a more intense workout though. A combo of spin classes and turbo work is good in the winter, especially when outdoor opportunities are more limited by weather and daylight hours. (please smart-arses don't bother replying to say you can cycle in the dark & wet)

DRM

Guru
He’s asking about an exercise bike though not a turbo trainer. Yes you can likely get fit using one sticking with the right programme (intervals, varying resistance being careful about set up) but none I’ve ever used are anything like cycling outdoors 🤷‍♀️
Because you’re not doing it right, it’s not about indoors v outdoors, both complement the other, time wise it’s a brilliantly efficient way of staying fit, and keeping the fitness up, or even improving it, try doing the ftp test on Zwift, it’s an absolutely dreadful killer of a thing, then do a training programme to get it up, do the test again and see the improvement it’s worth the suffering, you can also do training drills that are impossible outside ie so many minutes at x Watts, it’s nigh on impossible on the road whilst watching where you’re going, keeping an eye out for cars, then just as you’re nearly done you have to stop at a junction or traffic lights etc, also don’t forget that some peoples jobs have them outside even in winter, go outside for a bike ride when you’re frozen stupid from work, another 2 hours out on a bike ride, I don’t think so.

Top Bottom