Exercise bike - use resistance as gears?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mrklaw

I have an average exercise bike -DKN 5i, whichmhas bluetooth and can connect to a couple of apps - Kinomap is probably the best - it can increase resistance on my bike remotely as I cycle up hills which is good. But it stops there.

It seems to simulate a single speed bike. So going on flats or down hills it’s very light,and going up steep hills is hard work. I get that for exercise but then i’d Use one of the more artificial profiles. For ‘real’ cycling I’d change up gears on flat/downhill, and down gears on hills. Is there any reason you couldn’t simulate gear changes by changing the bike resistance?

That would work. I think that particular bike has a Watts Mode, which will automagically adjust the resistance to maintain your power output at whatever wattage you set - much like Erg Mode on a smart trainer. i.e. it will do the virtual gear changing for you.

OP
OP
M

Mrklaw

That would work. I think that particular bike has a Watts Mode, which will automagically adjust the resistance to maintain your power output at whatever wattage you set - much like Erg Mode on a smart trainer. i.e. it will do the virtual gear changing for you.

Yeah it’ll do that in watts mode but when I connect to my iPad via Bluetooth it seems to disable all its settings so relies on the app to control resistance. Any apps that might be able to do that? Currently trying iPad but open to trying windows too

Top Bottom