Exhaust fumes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sandra6

Veteran
I've been cycling to and from work for a year now and exhaust fumes have never been an issue, but last night the driver of a red something or other really had to get in front of me just in time to join the queue of traffic to the roundabout. I then had to sit behind him breathing in noxious fumes as the exhaust belched out black smoke.
I kind of hope that means his car is about to break down.
Not content with pulling in front of me, he then shot off at the RAB right into the path of an oncoming car.
I kind of hope that means he'll crash soon too.

Maz

Guru
Breakdown or crash? Hmm, I'm not sure I'd want to wish the driver any ill will.
I'd feel a lot calmer with Karma.:smile:

Davidc

Guru
Happens, but your ill wishes aren't very pleasant. Better the vehicle fails its MOT or the police pick it up. (Probably only if they end up behind it in a queue!)

Cress1968

Maybe his car had just started doing it and maybe he has put it in to get repaired? Maybe as said you could have just moved away from said fumes and maybe just maybe you shouldn't wish crashes on people???

OP
OP
Sandra6

Sandra6

Veteran
Why did you not simply just move to the other side of the car or even filter?
Tbh I never know quite where I'm supposed to be at the RAB.
So, it's two lanes - one for the left turn, the other for straight on or right. I am going straight on.
Sometimes if there's just a couple of cars I will filter to the left of the cars and go with the front car, although I always feel that's wrong. If there are cars in the other lane there's no room for me to filter - as was the case this time - so I was stuck behind the car.
Maybe wishing a crash was a bit harsh, a failed MOT would be better.

BLUE(UK)

Firstly, and this isn't aimed at you personally, I find there are a few attitudes that sound very 'us and them'......'cyclists and motorists'. I walk,cycle,motorcycle and drive cars and vans so I guess I have no bias.
IMO,Todays road users(whether you like it or not),demands an assertive road user,this applies whichever mode of movement you choose.I can tell you how I would personally approach various junctions but it will not necessarily work for you due to road positioning,presence,speed and timing. One would perhaps find me to be quite aggressive but I ride like I am invisible(same as on the motorbike). For your situation, from what I can gather, on the approach I would stay in the middle of the left lane and watch for traffic from the right as I get closer whilst adjusting my speed and with my momentum,beat the front car off the mark,if that didn't work on the approach, I would aim for second place but after clearing the left hand turn off I would allow plenty of space for the car that let me in to pass at the earliest safest time. This works for me and it has done since I was a kid. I am not suggesting you do the same unless you feel confident in your abilities because getting it wrong could be the last thing you do.

I only get the odd driver not be too happy but it's very few and far between for me to care and if they decide to pull over for their best SIlverback Gorilla impersonation......it could be that their day could be about to get much worse.:angel:

Good luck.

OP
OP
Sandra6

Sandra6

Veteran
I get what you're saying Blue, and if you're going at speed that would work, but it's a little side street, minor RAB (think I may have bigged it up lol)
Here
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?oe=ut...&sa=X&ei=RHdZUKVlhbHRBfafgJAJ&ved=0CCIQ8gEwAA
I've just come from one side street, made a right, and am on that road wanting to go straight over and up the hill.
There is usually a lot of traffic passing in front of me as those are more major roads.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Don't worry about it - the black smoke most likely means it's a diesel - they don't half puff out crap at times, especially when the driver boots it.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
When cycling to lectures as a student I'd frequently get stuck behind a smelly old bus, and found I could be coughing for hours afterwards. I have had bronchitis in the past & have to look after my lungs.

I have never worn a mask. Nowadays my commute is mainly rural roads, but certainly when a vehicle kicks out a load of black soot, I hold my breath until I am past .

If it were to happen in a traffic queue, I would expect the car to be moving, and to be able to move out of the way of the soot myself.

Drago

Legendary Member
Here' a slightly tongue in cheek plan - all cars should have their exhaust gases captured in a bottle. Every week the bottle is opened and the fumes released in the drivers own house. You can bet they'll suddenly get any faults fixed!

This is why I'm quite left-wing with smokers. Most ex smokers like myself are rabidly anti-fag, many of them getting in a right old strop if someone sparks up near them. However, try sitting in traffic breathing the exhaust fumes from a non-smokers car and it kind of changes your perspective. How can one type of air polltion be so anti-social these days, while another type is happily emitted by the same folk who would moan about used cig smoke?

Top Bottom