Exmouth Exodus - 14/15 June 2008

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Aaaaaaggghhhhh

Same weekend as the L2B AND my cycling/drinking weekend...what is is with 14/15 June???
Pish.

GrahamG

Guru
I've never done more than 50 miles, but this could be a useful new years resolution. Plus the start is only 2 miles from my flat and I already have a schmidt dyno hub and front light from the commuter - I just have no excuses not to do this!

redfox

Looks great, I remember reading the c+ article about last year.

I would love to do it, though the logistics may be a problem, as I am trying to involve the car as little as possible in my cycling. Maybe I could turn it into a mini tour.

OP
OP
Chuffy

Chuffy

Veteran
redfox said:
Looks great, I remember reading the c+ article about last year.

I would love to do it, though the logistics may be a problem, as I am trying to involve the car as little as possible in my cycling. Maybe I could turn it into a mini tour.
I wrote that! ;)

Starts in Bristol and ends in Exmouth, both well served by train links, so logistics shouldn't be such a problem.

redfox

Chuffy said:
I wrote that! ;)

Congrats, it was a good read!

Chuffy said:
Starts in Bristol and ends in Exmouth, both well served by train links, so logistics shouldn't be such a problem.

Too late it has already turned in yet another thing for me. I have downloaded the bikely route with the intention of creating a big round trip.

GrahamG

Guru
Just thought I'd bump this up now that it's only two months away! Anyone else here thinking of doing it? It's probably going to be my first 100 miler so I took the approach of telling everyone that I'm doing it so there's no going back!

GrahamG said:
Just thought I'd bump this up now that it's only two months away! Anyone else here thinking of doing it? It's probably going to be my first 100 miler so I took the approach of telling everyone that I'm doing it so there's no going back!

I keep returning to look at this ride, it would be my first 100 miler, it's the day after my birthday so i'd need to ensure that i didn't partake of too much alcohol and start dehydrated and with the remnants of a hangover:smile::wacko:

Still can't get to the yes i'll commit to it yet so haven't got to the point of telling family and friends i am. once i do i'll post here, it'd be good to meet some of the other CC fellowship :biggrin:

Windy

GrahamG

Guru
Rob, sounds like you're in a similar boat to me. I've only just done my longest ride yet (61 mile loop down through clevedon, cheddar and back to brizzle via Chew Valley), but I'm getting a little relief from the fact that there's a good 9-10 hours between leaving and the cafe opening in Exmouth!

If you're in Bristol and need a buddy for some warm up rides to make you feel better (I'm constantly red faced and sweating like buggery :biggrin:) then give us a shout, I've only just moved here so haven't made the big leap of checking out clubs etc. and normally ride alone or with the missus.

vbc

I did the first E.E. 2 years ago but didn't make last year due to being detained at the pleasure of the NHS after a nasty accident. Hope to be fit enough by mid June to give it another go but I do need to get some longer rides in before hand, so if anyone wants a bit of company on a training ride, let me know.
I had hoped to make the recce last Saturday but had too much to do at home in preparation for the arrival of the builders.
Don't worry too much about the distance as it's easier in a group and there are lots of opportunities for short stops. If you can manage 60 miles reasonably well then you should be OK for 100 miles. Just make sure your bike's well set up and lit and that your contact points are well sorted!

GrahamG

Guru
Just thought I'd bump this up now that we're just a couple of weeks away. My other half is kindly coming to pick me and the bike up on the Sunday morning - if anyone wants a lift back to Bristol or anywhere en-route then give us a shout as we've room for 1 more bike/person.

OP
OP
Chuffy

Chuffy

Veteran
Cheers for the bump Graham. :smile:

Latest news is that we have a proper catered half way stop organised at North Curry Pavilion with pasta, hot drinks etc. We're also going to have the Squeaky Lobster Cafe, basically a camper van crewed by myself and Baggy, dispensing hot drinks and malt loaf etc. Fully equipped with spare tubes, repair stand, tools etc in case of emergencies. We'll be parked up somewhere outside Cheddar and later on somewhere on Luppitt Common. It's all free, but donations will be very much appreciated.

EDIT - The half way food stop won't be free. Very reasonable, but not free. The Squeaky Lobster will be though. Hopefully the money from the half way stop, plus donations, will cover our costs and allow us to provide the same level of support next year.

Oh and the cafe in Exmouth will be open from 7am, just for us. ;)

Norv

To the Exmouth Exodus virgin:

The Exmouth Exodus is a bloody brilliant night ride. The route from Bristol couldn't be more fun. It's classic west country cycling - a mix of evil climbs, great decents and fast flat straights. There's plenty of iconic moments, like riding over the Clifton Suspension Bridge, negotiating Cheddar Gorge at midnight and nailing it across the Blackdowns at 4 in the morning! Plus, there's beer at the start and a fry up at the finish, what more do you want?!

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Not that I'm going ... too far for me to attempt and then fail ... but maybe another year. However, depending on what I end up doing that evening it might be nice to come to the start and see some folk off. Just in case I do where are you meeting and at what time?

Top Bottom