Exped Pump mats

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fandango

I am 50 and 18 stone, so things are against me somewhat. I had a Thermarest (the thick one) but I started to get uncomfortable, I would wake up at 4am with my ribs aching so much I couldn't get back to sleep. I read about the Exped mats so decided to try the 9cm one and it is fantastic. I actually take it with me to use instead of camp/air beds when I visit my parents etc. It can be tricky to get the pressure right at first, but it's easy enough once you get the hang of it. Your hip - if you sleep on your side - should be as close to the ground as possible without actually touching it. I find this gives a very comfy nights sleep.

The other thing about Exped I like is their chair system. I find it far easier and quicker to set up in the confined space of a tent. I wouldn't leave home without the chair btw.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Tatteljee who made our bag are a small sleeping bag workshop in Amsterdam who specialize in high quality custom work. I designed the rough idea, and they then worked out the details. Their prices are similar to what you pay for good standard down bags in Dutch outdoor shops. If you want to know more, send me a pm.
Willem

For now I'm still at the research stage - still trying to convince Mr Summerdays that we could try camping whilst cycling. We camp - with the car, or we cycle with B+B but he is worried that we wouldn't be able to fit all our kit into our 2 rear panniers - and knowing me that is probably a correct worry. So for now I'm mostly at the information collecting stage, but even for our camping trips (by car), I do need to upgrade my current Snugpak bag (not warm enough for me apart from in high summer), and alpkit mats (my hips always seem to ground).

So I am unlikely to follow this up currently but I will bookmark this thread for future reading. When you say the cost of a good down bag in Dutch outdoor shops - how would that compare to the price of one of the Alpkit bags that I was contemplating?

willem

Über Member
Alpkit is cheaper, no doubt. If you want to do this more cheaply, you can use a rectangular solo sleeping bag that has zips on one side and at the bottom. Open it like a blanket, use it as a duvet for the two of you, and fit matching zips to a sleeping bag liner for two. You do not really need the sleeves underneath the mat to secure the mats. This is a lot cheaper, but the downside is that there is some leaking of warmth to the sides. Fine in the summer, but more of a problem in the colder season and at higher altitudes. We did this for years.
I think if you already have the camping gear it should not be impossible to go on camping tours on your bikes. Even if you do not do this immediately, you can begin by looking hard at the gear you have, and buy something much lighter and more compact each time you replace an item. The sleep system is one of the best items to reduce volume and weight. We had a number of discussions recently about th emerits of camping (ultra)light. My claim was and is that for a solo trip in Europe, 15 kg or so in two rear poanniers and a bar bag is quite possible, and comfortable. On a trip for two, you gain another 3 kg or so because a stove for two is not twice as heavy, because you only need one first aid kit, etc.
Willem

GrahamG

Guru
For now I'm still at the research stage - still trying to convince Mr Summerdays that we could try camping whilst cycling. We camp - with the car, or we cycle with B+B but he is worried that we wouldn't be able to fit all our kit into our 2 rear panniers - and knowing me that is probably a correct worry. So for now I'm mostly at the information collecting stage, but even for our camping trips (by car), I do need to upgrade my current Snugpak bag (not warm enough for me apart from in high summer), and alpkit mats (my hips always seem to ground).

So I am unlikely to follow this up currently but I will bookmark this thread for future reading. When you say the cost of a good down bag in Dutch outdoor shops - how would that compare to the price of one of the Alpkit bags that I was contemplating?

If you ever want to borrow a few bits just to try out packing or to see what they're like then just give me a shout - I'm no longer up by the downs (left for a 12 week summer tour!), now in Keynsham but have all the camping kit to hand that you are interested in, including two alpkit sleeping bags (Sky high 600 & 800) and exped synmat 7s. What rear panniers do you have? There's no way we could pare it down enough for a pair of ortlieb back rollers each but Suzi has a pair of huge Pacific outdoor panniers at about 35l each and that would easily be enough extra.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
If you ever want to borrow a few bits just to try out packing or to see what they're like then just give me a shout - I'm no longer up by the downs (left for a 12 week summer tour!), now in Keynsham but have all the camping kit to hand that you are interested in, including two alpkit sleeping bags (Sky high 600 & 800) and exped synmat 7s. What rear panniers do you have? There's no way we could pare it down enough for a pair of ortlieb back rollers each but Suzi has a pair of huge Pacific outdoor panniers at about 35l each and that would easily be enough extra.

Thanks that's very kind of you - I'm afraid it is Ortlieb rear panniers ... and no I don't have the packing/leaving behind skills to suit them. I might take you up on your offer sometime just to see them in the flesh. Why do you have both the 600 and 800 - does the 800 belong to Suzi?

And lastly where did you go - is it written up on the internet anywhere?

GrahamG

Guru
Oh, hang on, my mistake, Suzi has the 600 and I have the old (discontinued) 400 model. The 600 got sent home after two weeks - overkill for anything further south than Scotland in summer!

With regards to packing I suppose it would depend on catering - we cooked everything ourselves and even made our own sandwiches so that adds a fair bit to the kit list. If you were eating out and only carrying snacks then I reckon it would be easily doable.

I'll post up the very brief write up and photos separately.

Thanks that's very kind of you - I'm afraid it is Ortlieb rear panniers ... and no I don't have the packing/leaving behind skills to suit them. I might take you up on your offer sometime just to see them in the flesh. Why do you have both the 600 and 800 - does the 800 belong to Suzi?

And lastly where did you go - is it written up on the internet anywhere?

If you have the Ortlieb rear panniers - why don't you get the Ortlieb rackpack bag that clips in to the rear panniers? that is where I keep my sleeping bag & exped synthmat 7 with the chair converter. Also keep my waterproofs in there along with a few other bits for day time use - sleeping stuff in a waterproof bag etc. It costs about £35 for the 32L version which clips to the panniers.

See here for my bikes with them on. (could not post image for some reason.)

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Oh, hang on, my mistake, Suzi has the 600 and I have the old (discontinued) 400 model. The 600 got sent home after two weeks - overkill for anything further south than Scotland in summer!
I'm a female who seems to sleep cold... I'm hoping that increasing the 'R' value underneath me might help ... I have on one night in late May on the Devon coast worn in bed: 5 layers on my top half including a fleece, and 2 layers on the bottom half and socks and a hat. I've since bought a bag liner that helps quite a lot.
I'll post up the very brief write up and photos separately.
I will look forward to it...

If you have the Ortlieb rear panniers - why don't you get the Ortlieb rackpack bag that clips in to the rear panniers? that is where I keep my sleeping bag & exped synthmat 7 with the chair converter. Also keep my waterproofs in there along with a few other bits for day time use - sleeping stuff in a waterproof bag etc. It costs about £35 for the 32L version which clips to the panniers.

See here for my bikes with them on. (could not post image for some reason.)

Last time I used a stuff sack to keep a few items that I frequently wanted access to, before I bought a bar bag.

GrahamG

Guru
What were you sleeping on/in? The synmat is very well insulated - their website says it's not as good as downmat but these are probably aimed at people who have more extreme uses in mind than most cycle tourers! Sleeping bag also makes a world of difference, especially considering a spring/autumn frost is not exactly unusual. Definitely get the 600; it'll make a very pleasant change when using with a silk liner and actually getting hot.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Well before we got the Alpkit mats it was an air-bed and before that some other mats... I generally find that the mats aren't thick enough to be comfortable and the air bed is too heavy/big to transport - plus it leaked. That's why I'm going to give either the synmat or down mat a go - a bit more air and a bit more insulation. I will possibly try the synmat first as I can always pass it on to my children if it doesn't work for me, as they are getting to the point where their camping gear needs up-grading as well.

Last time I used a stuff sack to keep a few items that I frequently wanted access to, before I bought a bar bag.

Prefer to keep as much as possible off the handlebars sinmply because I am paritally paralysed and can't use my left hand properly. But the reference was in relation to it not fitting easily into the rear panniers. It does fit easily with a winter sleeping bag rolled up as well into the rackpack leaving you plenty of space in the rear panniers.

Well before we got the Alpkit mats it was an air-bed and before that some other mats... I generally find that the mats aren't thick enough to be comfortable and the air bed is too heavy/big to transport - plus it leaked. That's why I'm going to give either the synmat or down mat a go - a bit more air and a bit more insulation. I will possibly try the synmat first as I can always pass it on to my children if it doesn't work for me, as they are getting to the point where their camping gear needs up-grading as well.

Synthmat is better for environments where there is dampness in the air becuase it is exactly the same argument/discussion between down and synthetic sleepingbags for mountaineering. the result of which is that I have both the downmat 9 and the synthmat 7 and switch between the two depending on the time of year and dampness around. (I also have various sleeping bags for the same reasons - synthetic is still warm even when wet, but I prefer down becuase it regulates my body temp better and I don't overheat - but if it gets wet you have had it. (I do a lot of mountaineering and winter camping in very low temperatures as well a cycle touring.)

The synthmat (last time I looked) also came in a 9cm version as well as the 7cm version, so the desision should really come down to (excuse the pun) do you want a down mat that you really do have to keep 100% dry or a synthetic mat that does not matter if it gets damp.

Top Bottom