expensive bike travel from cheap airline.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jags

Guru
dont know how true it is ,but i heard today ryan air is charging 60 euro each way for your bike (120) has anyone heard this news sure is going to be expensive to tour foreign lands.

jasper

Not unless they haven't yet updated their website, look under sports equipment:

http://www.ryanair.com/site/EN/faqs.php?sect=CHARGES

Are you sure you're not thinking a return fare is a single and doubling it twice ?

£25/€30 each way => £50/€60 rtn, double that again and you get your €120

Agree that LyinAir's pricing is apalling though - me & Mrs wrx went to Italy earlier this year, £9.99 each way flights : cost £192-odd in total I think by time all the fees were added on...

bigjim

Legendary Member
It was £25 each way earlier this year as we paid it. Still expensive though as you can hire one for not mush more. They do not want to take any luggage except hand as it can interfere with their quick turnaround, so you pay for their perceived inconvenience. Most airlines are going down the same route with increased charges. Sometimes easier to hire. I find taking the bike a load of hassle.

Jim

Lone Rider

I've tried hiring, and even buying a second-hand bike... but there's nothing like your own bike if you want to do some enjoyable touring.
I've used Ryanair - no problems (not even a box - I just turned up with my bike), and Easyjet (they sold me a box), both charged about 25€, which I am prepared to pay as a bicycle is a large piece of luggage.
No way can you hire a bike for touring for anything near 50€. Take your own and enjoy your holiday!

Bodhbh

Guru
Just come back from a trip on Ryanair, only booked the flight a couple of weeks ago, paid 32 euro for 1-way iirc so if it's gone up it's very recent.

/edit what I did find appailing tho is how much they charge for excess weight. 12 pound a kilo or something. Lucky managed to post all the excess just in time after realising. Also paid nearly 5 pound for a double vodka, on a buy 1 get one free deal on the flight back, bloody hell.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
ASC1951 said:
That'll be the one that doesn't involve soaking the taxpayer for subsidies and manipulating landing slots? ;)

Oh, we subsidise Ryanair all right. They don't pay tax on their fuel (like all airlines but unlike all other modes of transport), we build them roads so that we can get to their airports, and we suffer the inconvenience of living underneath their flightpaths.

Bodhbh said:
Also paid nearly 5 pound for a double vodka, on a buy 1 get one free deal on the flight back, bloody hell.

They amused me greatly, never seen the like before.

The whisky/brandy/gin/vodka/etc comes blister-packed in plastic, basically little plastic 'bubbles' with the drink sloshing about inside, and wasn't a recognised brand.

There was a nasty sickly advertising tape playing over the intercom about asking the stew for their 'exclusive' drinks, but whilst I can obviously see how convenient and lightweight such packaging is, it seemed oh so tacky and downmarket - more 'Bargain Booze' than 'exclusive' !

Bodhbh

Guru
Yes, I wasn't overly amused when the hostess promptly threw the two little blobs of jelly at me. They seem to make a point of keeping them out of sight and springing them on you. I do know better than to buy drinks on Ryanair flights, but sometimes you just fancy a drink.

iirc the brand was 'bullseye' or 'bloodshot' or something. At least can't go to far wrong with the vodka. Heaven knows what the whiskey is like.

Top Bottom