1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Expensive frames question

Discussion in 'Bicycle Mechanics and Repairs' started by malkie, 6 Mar 2008.

1. malkie

malkie New Member

Ok . A good mate of mine ( with more money than sense :smile:) can`t make his mind up on which new frame to go for ...

1/. Look 595
    2/. Wilier Cento

My comment was that I preferred the Look but as he is a bit of a fat lad at 200lbs he should check which was the stronger :biggrin: ... Well you have to bear these things in mind ... out of concern ;) :smile:

To be fair he does up to 200 miles a week commuting and more on his days off .

Any opinions ?

Malkie.

2. simonali

simonali Über Member

He could afford something better if he jacked in his pie eating habit! ;)

3. Tynan

Tynan Veteran

the fat stupid 'friend' is you isn't it?

4. stevenb

stevenb New Member

I think the Look frames are excellent.
    I was nearly tempted by a Look 585....carbon frame with luggs.
    Superbly built....that'd be my prefered choice of the 2.:biggrin:

5. malkie

malkie New Member

No no no . . . I am a much more svelte 195lbs :biggrin::biggrin:

I am the reason he is buying a bike though since I just started commuting to work with him and bought a nice Kuota Kharma . The tart can`t cope with me having a nicer bike than him so the shopping bug has bitten with a vengeance . Mates eh ?

He`s still far quicker than me regardless tbh.:biggrin:

6. malkie

malkie New Member

What would that mean in terms of materials ? He has a decent aluminium framed Wilier at the moment and has mainly been looking at carbon for weight/bling reasons . I don`t think he wants to spend a fortune to end up with something that weighs similar to his current bike.

Anywhere particular you would recommend ?

Stevenb ... Yes if it was my money the Look would be my choice based on appearance anyway .

7. Monty Dog

Monty Dog New Member

Not that the Cento is a bad bike, but it doesn't have the reputation of the Look. Virtually all of the best carbon frames feature a lugged carbon construction like the Look - e.g. Parlee, Time, Colnago C50/Extreme. Parlee also do custom...but if I was 5 stone heavier and it was my money, it would be the Colnago Extreme Power...if it can handle Petacchi, it should be strong enough for anyone.

8. yenrod

yenrod Guest

Ive always wondered about this - I may even go custom - I nearly did in the past BUT decided against it.

9. malkie

malkie New Member

Thanks ppl .

Seems to be largely leaning towards the Look so far .

10. walker

walker New Member

he does over 200 miles a week but is still a lard arse?
    I think he should consider losing some more weight and then go for something a little more exquisite that will take his weight, but if its only a commuter just get a cheapy

11. malkie

malkie New Member

Lard arse .... well not quite .
    He`s lost about 3.5 stone with probably another 1.5 to go maximum .

Never likely to be much under 180lbs no matter what .

But he does pass much slimmer cyclists all the time :blush:

He`s lucky enough to be able to afford some nice gear so why not ? This is why I was wondering about the strength of the Look .

12. Jacomus-rides-Gen

Jacomus-rides-Gen New Member

This is a think for the manufacturers - they all give weight tolerances for their frams, just bash out an e-mail.

80kgs is hardly a fatty anyway, and shouldn't prevent his riding all but the very lightest carbon frames.

13. malkie

malkie New Member

Thanks .

I will do that .

Thanks to everyone for their comments . :blush:

14. SheilaH

SheilaH Guru

Willier have their carbon bikes made in the far east, in case you were wondering

15. Disgruntled Goat

Disgruntled Goat New Member

Has he ridden any of them. It's a lot of money to spend on a frame you've never tried. I was going to buy a Look 585 - then I rode one.