Expensive frames question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

malkie

Ok . A good mate of mine ( with more money than sense :smile:) can`t make his mind up on which new frame to go for ...

1/. Look 595
2/. Wilier Cento

My comment was that I preferred the Look but as he is a bit of a fat lad at 200lbs he should check which was the stronger :biggrin: ... Well you have to bear these things in mind ... out of concern ;) :smile:

To be fair he does up to 200 miles a week commuting and more on his days off .

Any opinions ?

Malkie.

simonali

Guru
He could afford something better if he jacked in his pie eating habit! ;)

stevenb

I think the Look frames are excellent.
I was nearly tempted by a Look 585....carbon frame with luggs.
Superbly built....that'd be my prefered choice of the 2.:biggrin:

OP
OP
M

malkie

Tynan said:
the fat stupid 'friend' is you isn't it?

No no no . . . I am a much more svelte 195lbs :biggrin::biggrin:

I am the reason he is buying a bike though since I just started commuting to work with him and bought a nice Kuota Kharma . The tart can`t cope with me having a nicer bike than him so the shopping bug has bitten with a vengeance . Mates eh ?

He`s still far quicker than me regardless tbh.:biggrin:

OP
OP
M

malkie

Jim said:
I can never understand why people would buy a mass-produced frame in preference to having one custom made. A custom made frame is unique.

What would that mean in terms of materials ? He has a decent aluminium framed Wilier at the moment and has mainly been looking at carbon for weight/bling reasons . I don`t think he wants to spend a fortune to end up with something that weighs similar to his current bike.

Anywhere particular you would recommend ?

Stevenb ... Yes if it was my money the Look would be my choice based on appearance anyway .

Monty Dog

Not that the Cento is a bad bike, but it doesn't have the reputation of the Look. Virtually all of the best carbon frames feature a lugged carbon construction like the Look - e.g. Parlee, Time, Colnago C50/Extreme. Parlee also do custom...but if I was 5 stone heavier and it was my money, it would be the Colnago Extreme Power...if it can handle Petacchi, it should be strong enough for anyone.

yenrod

Jim said:
I can never understand why people would buy a mass-produced frame in preference to having one custom made. A custom made frame is unique.

Ive always wondered about this - I may even go custom - I nearly did in the past BUT decided against it.

OP
OP
M

malkie

Thanks ppl .

Seems to be largely leaning towards the Look so far .

walker

he does over 200 miles a week but is still a lard arse?
I think he should consider losing some more weight and then go for something a little more exquisite that will take his weight, but if its only a commuter just get a cheapy

OP
OP
M

malkie

Lard arse .... well not quite .
He`s lost about 3.5 stone with probably another 1.5 to go maximum .

Never likely to be much under 180lbs no matter what .

But he does pass much slimmer cyclists all the time :blush:

He`s lucky enough to be able to afford some nice gear so why not ? This is why I was wondering about the strength of the Look .

This is a think for the manufacturers - they all give weight tolerances for their frams, just bash out an e-mail.

80kgs is hardly a fatty anyway, and shouldn't prevent his riding all but the very lightest carbon frames.

Top Bottom