Experience of Genesis Tour De Fer?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi

I am weighing up the Tour De Fer as an option for a bike upgrade and wondered if anyone on the forum had any experience of these bikes, specifically the "30"?

The bikes are like rocking horse poo at the moment but I have managed to find one in stock in my size and will likely move quickly to secure it.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I've got the 10 if that helps, it's become my number one bike in the last 9 or 10 months since I bought it, and it's perfect for what I needed. Feel free to ask any questions!

OP
OP
Son Of Anarchy

Son Of Anarchy

Regular
I've got the 10 if that helps, it's become my number one bike in the last 9 or 10 months since I bought it, and it's perfect for what I needed. Feel free to ask any questions!

I am brand new to touring and so my questions are more general than technical but I just have a couple of doubts in terms of braking when loaded and also how you find the standard fitted group set?

I think the 20 and 30 are slightly longer than the 10 (?) and obviously the standard spec will be different, but have you made any upgrades since getting yours? I have been advised to make some upgrades but then read on reviews that it's pretty much ready to roll out of the box.

I am planning several long distance (500 mile+) routes on it over the next 12/18 months so I suppose training rides will give me all the answers I need. Never owned a drop bar before either so this makes me slightly nervous.

Generally speaking though, do you find the bike with fixtures and fittings are of a high standard?

No knowledge of the TDF but I too recently got my first drop bar bike and was also a little nervous. I have to say that it was a revelation, I love it! I'm kicking myself for not trying one decades ago. I still love a good straight bar thrash through the city, and I like straight bars and an upright position for loaded touring, but you can't beat the drops for laying down the miles

OP
OP
Son Of Anarchy

Son Of Anarchy

Regular
No knowledge of the TDF but I too recently got my first drop bar bike and was also a little nervous. I have to say that it was a revelation, I love it! I'm kicking myself for not trying one decades ago. I still love a good straight bar thrash through the city, and I like straight bars and an upright position for loaded touring, but you can't beat the drops for laying down the miles

My thought process was that with the drop bar at least you have options for positions....

Out of interest, what bike did you go for?

I have the CDF 30, not sure how much difference there is between that and yours but I hope this puts your mind at rest

I’ve just ridden the Ridgeway over a couple of days,loaded like the image and never worried about the brakes (if yours are the same as on mine) and there are long descents and short steep descents and it handled them with no issues

I find drops to be slightly more flexible than straight handlebars but that’s more a personal choice

I reckon even if you didn’t get on with it, you’ll not lose a great deal of money if you sold it on

best of luck with your choice

OP
OP
Son Of Anarchy

Son Of Anarchy

Regular
I have the CDF 30, not sure how much difference there is between that and yours but I hope this puts your mind at rest

I’ve just ridden the Ridgeway over a couple of days,loaded like the image and never worried about the brakes (if yours are the same as on mine) and there are long descents and short steep descents and it handled them with no issues

View attachment 540127

I find drops to be slightly more flexible than straight handlebars but that’s more a personal choice

I reckon even if you didn’t get on with it, you’ll not lose a great deal of money if you sold it on

best of luck with your choice

that’s some set up you have there! Were you touring or moving house? 😂
It does put my mind at ease, thank you! I may be tapping you up for advise on bag choice at some point in the not too distant!

citybabe

Keep Calm and OMG.......CAKES!!
I have a TdF 30. I’m in the process of loading it up for a little overnight tour this weekend

Attachments

• 2C68B0CB-7428-4EB5-ADC4-BD62ACFCFD60.jpeg
    2C68B0CB-7428-4EB5-ADC4-BD62ACFCFD60.jpeg
    69.7 KB · Views: 34

gom

Über Member
I got a 20 last year – because I wanted the straight bars. I have an audax bike with drops – just the thing – but I like the straight ones for loaded touring.
Used for three weeks cycle camping in France last year and very pleased with it. Carries all my luggage very well and although it is a heavy bike I found it good for unloaded day rides.
No cycle camping this year alas. :sad:

I went for a Genesis as (a) I knew at least one cyclist with one & who was pleased, (b) was well reviewed and (c) LBS supplies Genesis bikes.
Size M – I’m 5’10”.
Can you try before you buy? LBS was happy to get one in and let me try it for a few miles.

My modifications:
* handlebar grips with combined stubby bar ends replaced and longer bar ends fitted
* 24-tooth smallest chainring replaced with 22-tooth (no such thing as too-low gears)
* kickstand added (invaluable)
* brooks saddle from my retired touring bike
* MKS touring pedals (I can’t remember if it came with any)

new bike.jpg

that’s some set up you have there! Were you touring or moving house? 😂
It does put my mind at ease, thank you! I may be tapping you up for advise on bag choice at some point in the not too distant!

certainly was, enough for 3 nights 4 days self supported with only water required en route

the bags are Planet X, not the lightest I would imagine but tough enough for a bumpy 200ish miles along bridleways and rutted tracks.

Ask away on the kit

OP
OP
Son Of Anarchy

Son Of Anarchy

Regular
I got a 20 last year – because I wanted the straight bars. I have an audax bike with drops – just the thing – but I like the straight ones for loaded touring.
Used for three weeks cycle camping in France last year and very pleased with it. Carries all my luggage very well and although it is a heavy bike I found it good for unloaded day rides.
No cycle camping this year alas. :sad:

I went for a Genesis as (a) I knew at least one cyclist with one & who was pleased, (b) was well reviewed and (c) LBS supplies Genesis bikes.
Size M – I’m 5’10”.
Can you try before you buy? LBS was happy to get one in and let me try it for a few miles.

My modifications:
* handlebar grips with combined stubby bar ends replaced and longer bar ends fitted
* 24-tooth smallest chainring replaced with 22-tooth (no such thing as too-low gears)
* kickstand added (invaluable)
* brooks saddle from my retired touring bike
* MKS touring pedals (I can’t remember if it came with any)

View attachment 540139

I ordered the 30 this afternoon so I am taking a bit of a punt but they don't call me "Dangerous Dave" for nothing :tongue:

I too am 5'10 and have gone for the medium, not that I had much choice as this was the only 30 I found having trawled at least two dozen shops over the past few days and it was the last one they had in stock. Should be with me on Wednesday next week, can't wait to get out on it if I am honest.

Hopefully this time next month I will be fully loaded myself for a couple of nights away with my new girl :becool:

Top Bottom