Exploding inner tube

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gog

Regular
Bit of a story this.
Had to put a bit inner tube in my bike last night due to getting a piece of glass in the tyre which went all the way through. Got all the glass out(i think)m looks like there is a small hole where the glass was.
So pumped it up to 110psi put bike back in shed, A couple of hours later i heard a lrage bang/pop noise, thought nothing of it till this morning when i went to get my bike out of the shed and found that the tube had exploded!!
Any ideas why this could be?
It was a brand new tube so that should have been ok.
Had a pinched the tube??
Could that tiny hole cause a weak spot? As it seemed that the tube had exploded near to where the hole was.
Also it exploded near to the valve.
A dodgy tube?
Will I need a new tyre now as well?

Need to get this sorted as doing the Tour ride on sunday, so need to feel confident that its ok. Dont really want to be paranoid about a dodgy tyre/tube.
Any help/advice would be most welcome.

upsidedown

Waiting for the great leap forward
I went through a phase of that happening. It was almost always because the tube wasn't completely inside the tyre. I now buy 60mm valve tubes that let me push the valve section into the tyre, then I work my way around the tyre pushing it in and making sure I can't see any tube.

Rebel Ian

That happened to me once. I believe it was the tube trying to escape through the hole in the tyre once it was inflated up to max pressure (120psi). Might want to check your tyre.

rustychisel

a thing to note. If the tyre was pushed off the rim (at that point) and the tube has a long tear in it then the tyre was not properly seated and the pressure blew it off the rim. If the tyre in in place and the tube has a more star shaped rent then it is much more likely that the rim tape either isn't working to cover a spoke hole effectively or the edge of the rim tape has fretted the tube to point of failure.

I favour the former explanation

the snail

Guru
perhaps there is still some glass hidden in the tyre, sometimes you need to turn the tyre inside out to reveal a hidden piece that's not visible from the surface?

OP
OP
G

Gog

Regular
a thing to note. If the tyre was pushed off the rim (at that point) and the tube has a long tear in it then the tyre was not properly seated and the pressure blew it off the rim.

Cheers mate that seem exactly what the problem was. Big tear in tube and tyre blew off rim. Was in a bit of a rush when I put it on, will have to take a bit more care next time.
Thanks

david1701

a thing to note. If the tyre was pushed off the rim (at that point) and the tube has a long tear in it then the tyre was not properly seated and the pressure blew it off the rim. If the tyre in in place and the tube has a more star shaped rent then it is much more likely that the rim tape either isn't working to cover a spoke hole effectively or the edge of the rim tape has fretted the tube to point of failure.

done the former before, dam that comes as a surprise, espesh if you're pumping the tyre up at the time :biggrin:

OP
OP
G

Gog

Regular
done the former before, dam that comes as a surprise, espesh if you're pumping the tyre up at the time :biggrin:

Was just about to go to bed when it went!!! Could not work out what it was!!
Must have freaked the neighbours out as well

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Thanks. Happened to me yesterday. Blamed it on not changing the tube properly. Now I have a better inkling as to what I did wrong.

Friz

The more you ride, the less your ass will hurt.
I've had it happen to me too. Only difference is I keep my bikes in the Kitchen. It blew just as I was raising a mug of tea to my lips. Ye ever see the scene in Top Gun where they buzz the tower?

albion

Guru
I had the same. It blew loudly whilst snacking mid climb at Snods Edge church.I had not got round to replacing an emergency 26" tube on a 700C wheel, but again it was because of non centred RIM tape.

EDIT - think I misread. My hole was dead central over the poke holes and thus most likely caused by off-centre tape.

Hold on. a blow-out 'caused by big tear in tyre' and 'tyre blowing off rim' are two very separate things.

I suspect that the glass cut a big enough hole for the tube to 'crawl' out of under pressure. I've seen it happen with a hole no more than 3mm accross, so small that I was convinced that the there was no hole in thetyre at all, i checked it sevaral times. But the tube - very slowly over a period of half an hour - worked its way out until it popped.

doog

Tyre too big for rim...
sad.gif

Tube escapes from tyre

BANG

003.jpg

OP
OP
G

Gog

Regular
Hold on. a blow-out 'caused by big tear in tyre' and 'tyre blowing off rim' are two very separate things.

I suspect that the glass cut a big enough hole for the tube to 'crawl' out of under pressure. I've seen it happen with a hole no more than 3mm accross, so small that I was convinced that the there was no hole in thetyre at all, i checked it sevaral times. But the tube - very slowly over a period of half an hour - worked its way out until it popped.
[/quote

I went out a got a new tyre to put on just in case it was this problem. Don`t want to be doing the tour ride and having tubes exploding on me!!
Some may call that being paranoid

Top Bottom