exploding inner tubes !!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

iLB

Hello there
having stopped on the club run to fill up water bottles, we heard a loud bang (on a par with a car back firing), only to look round and realise that the tube in my rear wheel had exploded :biggrin:. such was the force of said explosion the tyre had been blown of off the rim - needless to say i was very glad it had blown whilst i was not riding :biggrin::ohmy: phewww...

anyone else had this happen?
is the tyre now fubarred?

Mr Pig

A friend of mine did a run from Glasgow to Oban last year. On the way home they heard a loud bang from the back of the car, one of the tubes had exploded. Turned out it had failed at the base of the valve stem, so would have been unrepairable had it happened during the run.

Why it didn't happen in use but waited 'till the bike was sitting in the back of the car, no idea.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
Ive had this happen to me 3 times.
One time i had an inner tube i found in my shed and wanted to see if it had a puncture, so i put some air in it and it exploded in my hand.
Another time i put a tube in the front wheel of the crappy fixed, which had an old tyre on and the tube went bang, and it left a hole in the tube. So i repaired that, put the tube back in and saw the tyre wall had a small hole in, and the tube was showing. I left it and carried on doing something on the other bike and it went bang, very loud.
Ears were ringing for a while, very loud in a small shed:wacko:

It happened at a cafe aswell, we were standing around and there was a loud bang and soil flung up into the air. Someones tube had exploded, left a decent sized hole in the ground aswell.

Mr Pig

montage said:
To do with heating up and cooling down maybe?

I guess. But it seems strange that it didn't pop when there was more pressure in it, as it was being ridden.

Believe it or not, he did a 100 mile ride with no spare tube! Just a repair kit. He carries a tube now ;0)

monnet

Guru
It happened to me on last weeks clubrun. I'd had the tyre and tube on for about 200miles (some of them pretty demanding - chaingang/timetrials etc) so it wasn't anything to do with fitting etc. No idea what caused it but like you, the tyre came off the rim. It was in the first couple of miles too. I changed the tube and did the ride but as soon as I got home and inspected the tyre I decided it should be replaced asap. Annoying, as pointed out above, I'd only got about 200 miles on it.

You're safe - so hahahahahaha!
I know exactly how you feel Andy - I have just stepped indoors.
After busying myself all day I took an Expeditionary Force to the shed and retrieved my Falcon...as you do, and gently but firmly inflated to 8-ish bar. Tyres and tubes not that ancient (:biggrin:)
Anyway, decided to go for a mediocre dart down the road and
"Kapow!"
Front wheel too, but no damage done. All the neighbours down the street appeared on their doorsteps with shooters just in case but I reassured them.
Coincidence of a sort...this happened about ten minutes ago. :biggrin:
w811g6.jpg

hackbike 666 said:
What's an inner tube?

The Circle Line?

Blue

Legendary Member
ilovebikes said:
having stopped on the club run to fill up water bottles, we heard a loud bang (on a par with a car back firing), only to look round and realise that the tube in my rear wheel had exploded :tongue:. such was the force of said explosion the tyre had been blown of off the rim - needless to say i was very glad it had blown whilst i was not riding :ohmy::ohmy: phewww...

anyone else had this happen?
is the tyre now fubarred?

This happened to me a year or two back. I replaced the tube, just to have the same problem a few miles later. A close inspection of the innner wall of the tyre revealed that it was delaminating and shredding the tube. Inspect the tyre very carefully.

buggi

Bird Saviour
yesterday, my tyre rolled off my wheel which caused my inner tube to go BANG! oops. i had a feeling last time i put my tyre back on that the rim of the tyre might have stretched, so after fixing puncture rode carefully to LBS. 10 miles of praying "please don't come off" as i only had one tube on me so no spare. if it had gone, would have had to call for assitance and wouldn't have made it to the LBS before it shut.

It was loud when it went.

My theory on this (which needs your input to verify) is that the tubes being used are too thin for the tyre.

I went in LBS with tyre size and was sold an inner tube that was too small forthe tyre so it would be inside the tyre stretched when inflated (also stretched it would pop off repair patches).
LBS bloke looked bemused when i insisted on him getting a bigger tube.

If it is inside the tyre inflated but restricted by the tyre around it not by it stretching then I cant see how it would be so likely to explode.

Abitrary

Over The Hill said:
If it is inside the tyre inflated but restricted by the tyre around it not by it stretching then I cant see how it would be so likely to explode.

exactly... I bought one of those co2 pumps recently and gave it a trial run on an inner tube which inflated to the size of a swimming rubber ring... serious.

Top Bottom