Exploding Tire

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
oh my.. that is shocking.

Maz

Guru
What a freakish accident. I feel really sorry for her.

It is thought the couple had changed the tyre on the BMW Z3, after noticing a bulge in it, but that Capt Wilcox was holding it because the boot was full of luggage.
Wonder if it was a blowout due to the bulge being a weakpoint?

Chrisz

Über Member
Maz said:
What a freakish accident. I feel really sorry for her.

Wonder if it was a blowout due to the bulge being a weakpoint?

Yup, combined with being moved from the cold outside to the warm inside - nasty accident!

Maz

Guru
Chrisz said:
Yup, combined with being moved from the cold outside to the warm inside - nasty accident!
Oh yes, I never thought about that. Very good point.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
I'm surprised they didnt deflate the tyre after taking if off. Especially with a bump like that. Not that everyone would think about it, though

Chrisz

Über Member
I've read of it happening a few times _ mostly to people hooking up an HGV tyre to an air line and forgetting about it (they can take a fair while!).

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
I used to inflate army wagon tyres, the type with split ring rims. Before the days of cage inflation we used to stand on the rim, so if it blew it just threw you off. If you didn't stand on it you risked the rim flying off and smacking you in the teeth.

Slowgrind

Channel hoped onto a tv. show from Australia last night. A girl took her dads barrow wheel to the service station to inflate it when the thing exploded!
She needed emergency treatment and had broken several bones in her hand!
I have heard of similar things to this before, usually with wagon tyres!

ASC1951

Guru
ComedyPilot said:
I used to inflate army wagon tyres, the type with split ring rims. Before the days of cage inflation we used to stand on the rim, so if it blew it just threw you off. If you didn't stand on it you risked the rim flying off and smacking you in the teeth.
Some years ago I worked for WY Passenger Transport Executive, who had a similar ring give way on one of their buses - in the middle of Leeds. Several kilos of steel flew across the pavement and demolished a plate glass window, the shop front display and quite a bit of the interior. They were very, very lucky that no-one was in the way.

There is a lot of energy stored in 100psi of bus tyre.

I remember years ago we had a fatality on a site I was working on - A tyre on an earthmover exploded when a guy was standing next to it while it was being inflated (again before the days of cages) -not much pressure but an awful lot of air

Chrisz

Über Member
It is thought the couple had changed the tyre on the BMW Z3, after noticing a bulge in it, but that Capt Wilcox was holding it because the boot was full of luggage.

Top Bottom