Exploring Equality in Sweden

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

haconb

Me and a friend are making a documentary about what it's like to live in a more equal society, on bikes, through Sweden. Do you guys have any advice re the website and generally about Sweden?

www.exploringequality.tk

thanks!

willem

Über Member
One problem would be that Swedish Railways traditionally don't take bikes (universal car ownership was an early part of the welfare state), although apparently you can now take them on a few trains. I love equality, but found Sweden smug, chauvinistic and inward looking. Being Dutch, I find the same in my own country (we are not as open and liberal as the the image we succeeded in projecting), and wonder if that is the price one pays for social civility. Interesting project, however.
Willem

I have cycle toured through Sweden a number of times but I have I have not really found that it was a good way to learn
what it's like to live in a more equal society

Friendly people, some interesting towns and cities, occasionally very scenic, variable weather - too many trees

snorri

Legendary Member
It will be interesting to hear views on the Norway/Sweden relationship since "the oil". Norway was considered the poor neighbour, now the situation may be reversed.
Ditto on the railways, I never went back after discovering their no bikes policy. :sad:

toroddf

It will be interesting to hear views on the Norway/Sweden relationship since "the oil". Norway was considered the poor neighbour, now the situation may be reversed.
Ditto on the railways, I never went back after discovering their no bikes policy. :sad:
The relationship is friendly and without any conflicts........... although Norway and Sweden is officially at war with each other. The official status is "cease-fire" after a bit of a stand offish 1905 war where some fortresses was torn down and a demilitarized zone was set up on both sides of the border. 

In short, the cease fire is holding up nicely. Both nations are friendly towards each other and is only quarreling on the football fields and about whose are the best athlete on skiis.  That's about it. 

I no longer live there so I am out of touch with the situation.   

looe

Me and a friend are making a documentary about what it's like to live in a more equal society, on bikes, through Sweden. Do you guys have any advice re the website and generally about Sweden?

www.exploringequality.tk

thanks!

Hi,
I am Swedish but I live in UK since 12 years. As you only cover the south part of Sweden (Ostersund is in the middle of Sweden) you will get a twisted view of the country as it is big differences to live in the south opposed to the north of Sweden.

I lived in Sweden (Stockholm) for 14 years, and if you're happy to toe the line and not be an individual, then the cradle-to-the-grave society would be for you.

Otherwise it's not; and it wasn't for me, although it is a beautiful, clean, friendly and peaceful country. It was just too claustrophobic and restrictivefor me.

This book https://bookshop.si.se/shop/shop/showItem.asp?artnr=9343-1&itemID=1 might help explain how it is!

OP
OP
H

haconb

I lived in Sweden (Stockholm) for 14 years, and if you're happy to toe the line and not be an individual, then the cradle-to-the-grave society would be for you.

Otherwise it's not; and it wasn't for me, although it is a beautiful, clean, friendly and peaceful country. It was just too claustrophobic and restrictivefor me.

This book https://bookshop.si....9343-1&itemID=1 might help explain how it is!

I will be taking this out of the library shortly, thanks for all the suggestions! We are also in discussions about editing the route to go further north if possible... only 11 days now! EXCITED

Top Bottom