Exploring the Swiss Jura

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Thanks for the thorough response. I think I am going to give one a try.

Sorry to add to the thread drift....
I had one (C17) too, bought specifically to replace a B17 (leather) which I doubted would survive where I was taking it. (In hindsight, I was probably correct - I once burnt my ass on the C17 after it got a blast of Mexican sun!)
When I set off the saddle was brand new and gave me very few issues in terms of comfort. I don't think it's as comfy as the B17 though.

However, a saddle rail broke on the thing, here in Spain. In fairness, I was eating my way through Spain at the time! ^_^
I'd have no problem recommending one again, especially in extreme weathers, but keep an eye on the metal parts!

OP
OP
chriswoody

chriswoody

Legendary Member
Don't be sorry @HobbesOnTour for thread drifting, it's cool to talk about things like this and always interesting to hear others experiences.

I was wondering, did you just replace the saddle rail or the whole saddle when the rail snapped? One of the things I liked about the Brooks was how it was all rebuildable, so you can easily purchase replacement rails as well as the screws that go around the back to hold it all together.

Don't be sorry @HobbesOnTour for thread drifting, it's cool to talk about things like this and always interesting to hear others experiences.

I was wondering, did you just replace the saddle rail or the whole saddle when the rail snapped? One of the things I liked about the Brooks was how it was all rebuildable, so you can easily purchase replacement rails as well as the screws that go around the back to hold it all together.

Well, if the OP doesn't mind some thread drift...... ^_^

I replaced the saddle.
Rebuildable is an option at home, but on the road? Much more difficult. To be honest, I didn't even realise that it was an option. One I had a replacement it was dumped. In fairness, I have enough stuff without adding a broken saddle to it.

I should also add that this was my second Brook's saddle to have a metal malfunction. The first was an Imperial (my first ever Brooks) where the rail snapped at the front where the tension adjuster is. Well within warranty I was delighted to return it because the squeaking of the springs was driving me demented!!!

Given my non-technical leanings, I suppose it's possible that the fault is mine (although the breakages were in different places) or that my cycling "style" is uneven, adding to stress but I wasn't in a rush to get another Brooks which would have involved more expense and hunting around. Instead I picked up a Selle Italia from Decathlon and have ridden that for several months without an issue.

You've just reminded me that I emailed Brooks about this, with photos and never had a reply. There have ben rumblings online for quite a whike that things ain't what they used to be with Brooks. I can't comment. If I need to replace this one (and I'm not on the road) then I think it'll be a B17. I will watch the rails, though.

Another time, the pin that attaches the saddle to the seat post (whatever it's called) snapped, leaving me saddleless in Italy. I have a wonderful story of being "kidnapped" by a concerned motorist, brought to a farm and box upon box of old bolts and nuts being heaped on the ground until we had a solution that worked. But that would really be off topic! ^_^

Top Bottom