Exploring

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Pat "5mph"

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Love the pics and finding places like that :smile:

I forget but didnt your bike come with mtb tyres? You could try them if youre going offroad more or try a touch less pressure if youve got your tyres pumped up rock hard.
Yes, it did come with mb tyres: I changed them for city jets :rolleyes: great for the road, but scary on loose terrain.

OP
OP
Pat "5mph"

Pat "5mph"

Looks bootyfull, places like that are part of the joy of cycling. Er, but where was the off road bit ? Looks like tarmac or at least hard surface path to me [better surface than some of the main roads round here]!
I took the pics on the main path, was pushing the bike on the really rough bits. Next time I go back, I'll just chain the bike at the entrance, explore the woods on foot. We are lucky to have lots of big parks here, not all are so secluded as this one. There is one, near me, that I cannot enter with the bike at all: the paths are loose gravel. Shame, because a pram could not be wheeled there either, Mums are also missing out!

OP
OP
Pat "5mph"

Pat "5mph"

Exploring is a bit motivator, and apps like strava and endomondo are great for figuring out where the hell I've actually been!
I just go home, google map where I've been, starting from the last point of where I actually knew where I was :wacko:
My phone is not smart enough, and I can't see near without glasses, too much bother ... unless ... a new phone with a bigger screen? Who said cycling is a cheap hobby? :laugh:

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Yes, it did come with mb tyres: I changed them for city jets :rolleyes: great for the road, but scary on loose terrain.
If you want to start exploring gravel tracks and the Cityjets won't cope, how about a touring tyre?

I personally like Continental Tour Ride or Schwalbe Marathon but there are plenty of other good touring tyres out there. The extra grooves allow them to find the grip on loose surfaces but still roll quickly on the road, although they won't be quite as fast as the Cityjets.

Just a thought.:whistle:

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
You need an mtb, there is so much more to see with one, we always take the mtbs when we see the grand children, so much safer and a lot of fun for them in the forest's. but i love my road bike.

Hebe

getting better all the time
Lovely to see your horizons broadening, I'm sure you will reach that 10miles away goal. If I'm riding somewhere new I photocopy that chunk of the map and take it with me, but I've just been given a smartphone so that should help too.
Re the mountain bike, I live in Wiltshire and ended up with a mountain bike within 6months of starting riding, there is so much beautiful (and muddy) off-road riding right on my doorstep and I was frustrated at not being able to ride it on the comfort hybrid.

OP
OP
Pat "5mph"

Pat "5mph"

Yes, it seems that in any direction from where I live, after a few miles it all becomes sheep land :laugh:.
Keeping my eye on a couple of cheap mountain bikes on gumtree/ebay. I have a pair of marathons original, bought on special a few months ago, waiting to be fitted to my N+1.
Excellent suggestion, as usual, Rickshaw Phil :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Pat "5mph"

Pat "5mph"

Mamma mia! I made it!
After much googling, writing down directions, telling myself not to be a chicken, I finally set out today and reached my destination: not without a few mishaps :laugh: :bicycle:
Bye bye BigCat, hope I'll find my way back to you!
BTW, cyclestreet is good, when it says "quiet route" it's a REALLY quiet route: I saw a horse peeing in a field, that was a first time!
So off I go, with a few detours (can't resist riding through a park when I see a new one) till I find myself on the opposite side of this:

UpDown.jpg he, he: dismount? Maybe it's for the best ^_^
Leaving horses and idyllic water streams behind, I stop a gent walking his dog to make sure I'm on the right road, cannae get away from him but he actually shows me a way to avoid a round about. Ok, I have to dismount, cross on foot - on the way back I then find out that I could have crossed on the bike, without leaving the cycle path. Oh well!
I know I have to pass an Asda, hurray, there is a guy walking by wearing his Asda uniform, what a clever navigator I am.
Of course, I miss my next turn! Where the heck is the cycling route now? I completely lost my way, but a quick inquiry with a local very nice lady soon puts me right: just cycle on the pavement ahead, she says, it's a large one, and you get to the train station. Being a good cyclist :angel: I took the road, then I realized the "large pavement" was actually a shared path.
A beep from a passing WV soon put me on the straight and narrow.
Now that I knew the area (took the train many times to that station) but still having lost my cycling route to my destination, had to push the bike through a shopping centre, till I could rejoin the road again.
Never mind: got there at last, had my snack in a local park, then it started raining on me .... but in the meantime I found this:
TheWayHome.jpg Hurray, hurray .... show me the way to go home ....it did, it did, not Sustrain's fault if this happens:
Stophere1.jpg Stophere.jpg A funfair decided to block the cycling path. Had a wee chat with one of the ride operators, who thought it was good for my fitness to ride all the way round, walk up a grassy bit to go round his barriers. Ach well!
Back on the country lane, a typical Scottish summer shower starts to soak me.
See a farmer kind of gent with his bike under a tree, so I ask him if he's broken down. He says "No, hen (affectionate way to address a female in Scotland, that means) I'm just waiting for the rain to stop, forgot my waterproofs, I see the wet is not bothering you..." I laugh, wish him a good day, strangely during this conversation the (one) car behind me waited patiently without beeping :eek: must be the fresh air in the country.
Near home, but still not in the build up area, riding towards me a chap on a mb wearing tinted cycling glasses (dunno, maybe all cycling specs are tinted), give him half a smile, he purses his lips like I'm about to steal his chickens. Ach well ... maybe he's envious of my Boris's City Jets.
All in all, 19.7 miles. Including various chat stops, a visit to Asda's clothing isles (well, it was to stay out of the heavy rain a bit), my lunch break - the trip took 3.5 hours.
Planning tomorrow's exploring: speed is certainly not a priority :laugh:
TheEndBike.jpg

compo

Veteran
"Pat 5mph" excellent ride report!

Sandra6

Veteran
I love your way of writing Pat, very entertaining.
I don't know if anyone ever answered your question about the cemetery?? But yes, you can cycle through, we go through ours sometimes.
As for loose gravel paths, I haven't tried one on a bike, but I've dragged several pushchairs along them - and much rougher terrain.
I'm looking forward to your next adventure!

OP
OP
Pat "5mph"

Pat "5mph"

I love your way of writing Pat, very entertaining.
I don't know if anyone ever answered your question about the cemetery?? But yes, you can cycle through, we go through ours sometimes.
As for loose gravel paths, I haven't tried one on a bike, but I've dragged several pushchairs along them - and much rougher terrain.
I'm looking forward to your next adventure!

Sandra, I think I'm gonna set out for an adventure tomorrow, lets hope the rain stays off!

Top Bottom