Exploring

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
I've been commuting to work by bike since October. Nothing major, 5 miles in, 5 miles out. Nipping to town, visiting friends, it's all in a flattish 5/7 miles radius.
Today, I decided to explore a new route, mostly uphill, really searching for a quiet road to do a few miles.
So I headed towards an industrial estate, leading to a cemetery (which I was overdue visiting anyway :sad:) figuring the roads around it would be quiet.
Had the surprise of my life: I discovered that I can signal like there's no tomorrow when in a tight spot!
Anyway, I would have liked to follow the long winding uphill road in the cemetery itself, but did not know if it was allowed (is it, btw? cars go) so I explored the hilly surroundings.

What I discovered:
I can make it up steep hills - had to use granny gear a couple of times, I never normally need to.
Some main roads are so poorly paved that a mountain bike is needed.
Some beautiful spots in parks are out of the question with my city jets.
Some cycling paths are also out of the question: had to dismount downhill due too various slippery tree debris.
Some cyclists are nuts, riding busy dual carriage ways with roundabouts, when there's perfectly good parallel side streets with hardly any traffic - that might have something to do with the skinny tyres, though.
When exploring out of town, never forget your water (I didn't)
I think I would like mountain biking :dance:might need another bike ^_^

For the Glasgow southside people: rode from Blairbeth through Spittal, up Croftfoot Road, into Lynn crematorium, up Castlemilk following the road from the cemetery, up the cycling path through the woods, back down to Simshill into the golf course from the back of the shops, down towards Castle road, back up the hill and down Croftfoot road, into Spittal and back up to Castlemilk at the hole in the wall monument.
Only had to dismount once in the woods, was fearing for my tyres :whistle:
About 9.5 miles all in, not a lot. Would have liked to carry on exploring Lynn Park: need to save up for that mountain bike!

toroddf

Lucky you !

A big part of my bikeriding, beside of the sheer joy of riding a racing bike, is to explore new roads and new areas. In your area, you have the hills and roads towards Galston, Kilmarnock and Stewarton. A superb area with some small excellent roads. The old A77 is mostly traffic free now and superb. The road over Eaglesham past the windmills on the moor down to A77 is brilliant. The B769 over to Stewarton and A77 back is a brilliant ride. Use Google Earth and explore your local area. And yes, you will also meet line dancing sheep and cows in this area.

OP
OP
Pat "5mph"

Pat "5mph"

Lucky you !

A big part of my bikeriding, beside of the sheer joy of riding a racing bike, is to explore new roads and new areas. In your area, you have the hills and roads towards Galston, Kilmarnock and Stewarton. A superb area with some small excellent roads. The old A77 is mostly traffic free now and superb. The road over Eaglesham past the windmills on the moor down to A77 is brilliant. The B769 over to Stewarton and A77 back is a brilliant ride. Use Google Earth and explore your local area. And yes, you will also meet line dancing sheep and cows in this area.
Thanks for that, Toroddf, will look into it. Need to plan where I'm going with some care, as I'm pants with maps. Don't wanna end up on a roundabout in East Kilbride by mistake ^_^

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Local exploring can become a bit of an obsession. While getting used to a new bike, I took to riding every road around my home. I found I really enjoyed the way a whole area came to feel like my own. I've now, for my sins, extended this to a more-or-less circular area of 250 square km around my home.

The trouble is a) it can never finish because there's always another road just that bit further away; and b) by the time I get back to an area I want to explore further I've forgotten the best way of getting there.

toroddf

Local exploring can become a bit of an obsession. While getting used to a new bike, I took to riding every road around my home. I found I really enjoyed the way a whole area came to feel like my own. I've now, for my sins, extended this to a more-or-less circular area of 250 square km around my home.

The trouble is a) it can never finish because there's always another road just that bit further away; and b) by the time I get back to an area I want to explore further I've forgotten the best way of getting there.

You make it sounds so negative.... I know what you mean as I am in that phase now.... although your point b is a problem I have solved by writing down and taking photos of my rides. See the link in my signature.

Eaglesham is a good place to head of in your area, Pat. You got good single track roads over to Kilmarnock, Darvel and Strathaven from that area. The moor above Eaglesham (where Rudolf Hess crash landed in 1941) is excellent. You can also take the train or road up to Neilston and use that area as it is brilliant too. Just remember to give me a shout when you overtakes me as I use this whole area quite a lot myself. When you hear Beethoven's 3. symphony on the road ahead of you, that is my lungs at work.
You are living in a bikerider's paradise. Use it.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
You make it sounds so negative.... I know what you mean as I am in that phase now.... although your point b is a problem I have solved by writing down and taking photos of my rides. See the link in my signature.

Eaglesham is a good place to head of in your area, Pat. You got good single track roads over to Kilmarnock, Darvel and Strathaven from that area. The moor above Eaglesham (where Rudolf Hess crash landed in 1941) is excellent. You can also take the train or road up to Neilston and use that area as it is brilliant too. Just remember to give me a shout when you overtakes me as I use this whole area quite a lot myself. When you hear Beethoven's 3. symphony on the road ahead of you, that is my lungs at work.
You are living in a bikerider's paradise. Use it.

I didn't mean to sound negative, I thought I was being ironic, given the impossible nature of the exercise. BTW I haven't looked at your photos yet but, judging by the sheer number of place names, you seem to have captured a good part of northern Europe!

toroddf

Don't worry, deptfordmarmoset. I am always ironic about my hobby as a road collector. It is a silly hobby, but it adds ten or more years to my life and it is a hobby I love.
I would like to encourage more to take up my hobby too and that is my mission in CC.

OP
OP
Pat "5mph"

Pat "5mph"

road up to Neilston .

Do you mean Neilston Village? I could get there from home no bother, well maybe I'll have to walk a wee bit up to Fernhill :rolleyes: but don't you think the road to EK, after Cathkin, is a bit to much for my abilities? Cars go fast there. Or is there a side road after the vets?
I was actually considering the Neilston area for a quiet ride, mostly cows up there (it's near Wisemann Dairy).
Knowing me I'll get lost in the fields :laugh:

toroddf

It is this Neilston I refer to. Train from Glasgow as it is 500 feet above sea level. Good bike routes for racing bikes or any other bikes you use is going towards Dunlop. The minor road over Harelaw Dam also takes you straight over to the very scenic B769 with return to Glasgow over White Loch or A77 and then Newton Mearns. An excellent ride on smaller roads and hardly any traffic.

Then you can expand your horizons towards the delights of Ayrshire.

OP
OP
Pat "5mph"

Pat "5mph"

It is this Neilston I refer to. Train from Glasgow as it is 500 feet above sea level. Good bike routes for racing bikes or any other bikes you use is going towards Dunlop. The minor road over Harelaw Dam also takes you straight over to the very scenic B769 with return to Glasgow over White Loch or A77 and then Newton Mearns. An excellent ride on smaller roads and hardly any traffic.

Then you can expand your horizons towards the delights of Ayrshire.
Aha, it's a different Neilston! A wee bit too far for me, I think I better stick to Cambuslang, Castlemilk, East Kilbride for now.

OP
OP
Pat "5mph"

Pat "5mph"

Had a few days off: more exploring!
Before I discovered cycling, I used to walk for leisure. 5 miles on foot never worried me a minute, but, silly me, 5 miles on the bike need strategical planning least I end up on the motorway amongst a cacophony of beeps.
The quest is: my target is 10 miles away, I want to get there one day. The road should be more or less straight on forward. Google maps is my friend. Why can't I just mount the saddle and go? Because I'm still a beginner, even though I mastered my commute to work to the last pot hole. Distance is not the problem, fear of the unknown road is!

So, on Friday, I set out along a familiar road, aiming to go a little bit further. What I discovered: a nice quiet side road I could not use, due to my city jets not liking gravel, and the joy! a cycle lane along a very busy A road. I followed the lane until the next village, and the next! Negotiated my first roundabout ( just the first exit, from end of lane to rejoining lane :blush:) discovered a lane that on further google inspection leads to cycling heaven. Turned back only because wanted to catch the passing of the Olympic torch in my area.

Today I set out in a different direction (still towards my target). What I discovered: the most beautiful woods/park, never was aware of it because of the distance, not worth on foot for a stroll, but 15 minutes on the bike I was there. Here it is, complete with it's own little stream.

2012-06-10 10.35.28.jpg 2012-06-10 10.39.22.jpg 2012-06-10 10.40.02.jpg

Started to rain on me, I turn back with regret (of not having a mountain bike :angry:) because I think that a few of the gentle downhills I rode I must walk back up. But no! Made it no problems, too soon near home ...
In the drizzle, I head towards the traffic calmed area near by, attacking all what can pass for a hill. Have to dismount to ask for directions, hopelessly lost 5 min from the main road :whistle:

Watching a mountain bike on ebay .... :excl:

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
Love the pics and finding places like that :smile:

I forget but didnt your bike come with mtb tyres? You could try them if youre going offroad more or try a touch less pressure if youve got your tyres pumped up rock hard.

sidevalve

Über Member
Looks bootyfull, places like that are part of the joy of cycling. Er, but where was the off road bit ? Looks like tarmac or at least hard surface path to me [better surface than some of the main roads round here]!

Top Bottom