Extending Carbon Steerer Tube!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MartinC

Über Member
gbb said:
The more you think about it, the more questions it raises. Technically, it's quite do-able. Its not that much different to fitting an quill to Ahead adapter...if the inserted length's long enough to give it strength and a decent bonding area.
Ultimately, it sounds do-able...but i still wouldnt try it on my bike. I'd sooner ebay the forks and get the proper ones.
But if OPs willing to try....i can't see why not.

Putting a quill adaptor in a carbon steerer is areally bad idea - worse that putting a star nut in one.

Harry Street

A step tube would work well 3M make glues that can bond aluminium to carbon the one most often used is called 9323 a local composite company should be able to give you some its a 2 part glue and should be laft for 24hrs to cure a 10thou glue gap is the norm just ensure all bonding surfaces and abradded and degreased i would make the step into the tube 40mm long to give plenty of bond area

Chrisz

Über Member
numbnuts said:
Actually that’s not funny just before the Falklands war I worked on fitting new stainless steel door handles to all the fire doors on the Sir Galahad, it never came back, I was working for Husbands Shipyard at the time

The ship in the pic (bottom) is actually the LSL Sir Bedevere - I was on the port side rail just behind the derek when that pic was taken. The Mirage dropped a 1000lb bomb which went through the A frame of the derek, cutting the cables (the pulley missed us by a couple of feet). It then continued through the gunwale on the bows before making a bloody big splash in the oggin!

Did several trips on the Galahad - thankfully not on that fateful day though.

gbb

Legendary Member
MartinC said:
Putting a quill adaptor in a carbon steerer is areally bad idea - worse that putting a star nut in one.

Oh gawld no...i'm talking an adaptor in a steel steerer, definately not a carbon one. No, i just used the comparison because a adaptor is set well into the steerer...just as OPs adaptor should be to gain extra strength.

Could you imaging tightening up the top bolt, which pulls up the taper...which obliterates the carbon steerer :rofl::blush::biggrin::biggrin:

gbb

Legendary Member
mr-marty-martin said:
some one down the bike shop had a realy bad back so needed the carbon steerer upped alot...its fine from what i can see...[/QUOTE]

That seems a definitive answer then. :rofl:
We can theorise all day...

bonj2

gbb said:
The more you think about it, the more questions it raises. Technically, it's quite do-able. Its not that much different to fitting an quill to Ahead adapter...if the inserted length's long enough to give it strength and a decent bonding area.
Ultimately, it sounds do-able...but i still wouldnt try it on my bike. I'd sooner ebay the forks and get the proper ones.
But if OPs willing to try....i can't see why not.

Course it's a LOT different to that - because what's it bonded by? It can only e glue, or something akin to glue. Even if the quality of the bond per square inch is very good, then if you think of the cross section, it's only the area between two concentric circles, i.e. a ring of material.

Top Bottom