Exterior woodwork painting... ballpark cost?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
MontyVeda

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Some years ago I paid a pro painter to do our outside front (which is quite a lot).
Last year it was peeling badly. We have just had another guy in (a distant relative). He told us "no wonder its peeling, its not been primed".
He has done a superb job MUCH quicker and MUCH better than I could ever do.
This was done about five years ago by my Landlady's regular tradesmen and the paint began peeling the following summer. They also redid the putty and that's all falling out after a mere five years. They didn't do any prep at all as far as I could tell, just painted over everything, flaking or not. Thankfully they have now retired... they always did half a job for full price which is why it needs doing again so soon.

postman

Legendary Member
Michelangelo%20Quotes.jpg
This guy did a very nice ceiling job for someone.Not sure what he charges,but for me he faffs a bit too mjuch.Three coats of emulsion should be the max coverage for any ceiling.

postman

Legendary Member
On a more serious note.If it keeps flaking.It needs stripping back to bare wood.Then oil based undercoat,none of this sheen or acrylic fast drying stuff,that just sits on top of the wood.But this time it must be stripped back,or it will keep on flaking forever.Bob ex decorator to Royalty Prince Charles no less.He came to The Grand Theatre Leeds decades ago,we did a massive decorating job on the main staircase and Royal Box.

Top Bottom