Extra padding on my handlebars

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bigtallfatbloke

I want to pad out my handlebars a bit more. On my recent 85miler my hands were hurting too much. So here is the question:

Can i just wrap more padded tape over the exisiting tape, or should I strip them down and apply some foam first them re tape them?

I don't need padding all over the bars just on the drops.

Specialized do some excellent gel pads which go under t'tape. Or you could just double wrap them.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Remove your bar tape, cut down an old inner tube so you have a single piece and wrap around bar. Re-apply bar tape over the top :ohmy:

U

User482

I use two wraps of tape - much nicer for the rough roads on my commute.

k-dog

Yeah, tape only really helps against vibrations - if your hands hurt it's probably because you're position is wrong.

I do like a double wrapped bar though. I start just with a cheaper tape and do it the wrong way - from the inside out - and pretty tight and then put a decent tape over the top.

Just makes everything fit me better.

DanRVV2006

If its any help alot of pro riders double wrap there handlebars in bartape, to help with there hands due to long days in the saddle. Also the cork material handlebar tape tends to be softer and more forgiving again many pros use it so must be good.

Top Bottom