Extractor hood question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Our extractor fan (rented apartment) goes through lights fairly frequently (fair enough, presume it gets hot in there...) - but last time the light seems to have blown the fuse as well as now neither light works, and the fan won't come on either. Anyone have any tips where to find the fuse for the thing?

We are in a fairly new build place, the main electricity tripswitches are all on. Power to everything else in the kitchen seems fine, and there is no seperate switch for the extractor fan (there is a combined multi-appliance switch which does the fridge, washing machine etc as well and they are all fine). I've taken the cover off that switch to see if any fuses were visible and they aren't... help!

We even have the manual for it, amazingly, but it doesn't say where the fuse lives! There are no visible wires anywhere either.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
It won't have an integral fuse but can you trace the wire back to see whether it plugs in somewhere. They usually run off a 3 pin plug AFAIK

If it's new, it might be anywhere in the kitchen, quite possibly in a wall mounted socket with a pull out plastic fuse holder, that' where mine is.

postman

Legendary Member
Try looking behind the first drawer in your units .You will have to take a couple of them out to see the wall mounted socket .Thats where ours is .

OP
OP
SavageHoutkop

SavageHoutkop

Veteran
Thanks all! I think I've found it (well, I've found a plug, and it had a fuse in it... off to see if we have spare fuses....).

It was hiding on top of some wall mounted cupboards! You'd think they could make life a bit easier by putting an easily accessible plug somewhere like for the oven or hob (preferably labelled, say, 'FAN') - or just putting the fuse in the bloomin' switch for the fan...

snorri

Legendary Member
Makes note.
Disregard any electrical advice offered by Globalti or Ste T.

:smile:

rich p

ridiculous old lush
The other thing that occurs to me is that if the bulbs blow frequently and the fuse has now blown then there may be a wiring problem shorting out but as a renter that may not be your affair.

The other thing that occurs to me is that if the bulbs blow frequently and the fuse has now blown then there may be a wiring problem shorting out but as a renter that may not be your affair.

+1

Or there may be a 13amp fuse sat happily conducting while the hood burns down.

OP
OP
SavageHoutkop

SavageHoutkop

Veteran

If you think those lights blow frequently you should see the halogen GU-type lights which fit into a fan/light combo in the middle of our lounge...
I even bought some really expensive replacement low energy types as they'd get less warm and hopefully blow less - which didn't fit as they are too wide for the fitting! (They fit in the kitchen though, so I think it's probably an idiotic fitting).

Then there was the other set of dimmable CFL's (SES fitting) which cost a pretty penny to replace other 40w golfball incandescents, except that the one hummed as soon as you plugged it in and turned it on. So back to normal bulbs there too...

Top Bottom