Extraordinary statement from Kevin Mayne

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pete

I have just heard this on the Today programme a minute or two ago. This was of course on the 'David Cameron' story. He was set up against a motoring lobbyist spouting the usual "cyclists should be off the roads and have licence plates..." trash. What he [Kevin] came up with was, if I heard him aright, "cyclists do not need to obey red lights at Toucan crossings". Surely some mistake! For the record I observe all red lights and I hope all other responsible cyclists do so. Especially at pedestrian crossings where not to do so would set them into direct conflict with equally vulnerable pedestrians.

I'm still trying to take this in.

OP
OP
P

Pete

I think we need to wait for the interview to be hosted on the web so we can listen again. I've just looked at the Daily Mirror video, it seems that Cameron jumped: both: red lights applying only to a cycle path (these are presumably what Kevin was referring to), and red lights at an ordinary road junction applicable to all traffic. Kevin should have made the distinction clearer. Jumping the lights at a toucan crossing whilst cycling along the road (which is what most of us, I guess, will be doing when we come up against one of these crossings) is against the law, no buts...

Top Bottom