F1 2020

• Thread starter Deleted member 26715
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 26715

What an entertaining opener, so much to discuss, but only fair not to until Tuesday so everybody can catch up, hopefully it will be a cracking season, a few surprises & a few expected.

D

Deleted member 1258

I haven't seen it yet but there's been a few bits and pieces on facebook, sounds entertaining.

Drago

Legendary Member
Idiot Halmiltons remarks prior to the race were misguided. Just because you don't subscribe to his particular school of support doesn't make you part of the problem. Twit. Particularly as his own track record of comments on other forms of equality is less than perfect. How can such an ace driver be such a bell end?

He's rattled too. Hes always been a bit flaky under pressure, and that move on Albon was stupid. He well deserved the penalty.

Shame about Verstappen, you can bet he was turning the air blue

Bottas drive a surgically brilliant quali and kept it clean in the race, fair play. But he started last season like that too...

Drago

Legendary Member
I see he's been upsetting people in the paddock this weekend, criticising them for wearing paper face masks as part of his new found environmental awareness. Apparently a few have laughed in his face and asked him about the charter flight he took just to transport him alone to the race, instead of getting on the commercial aircraft with the rest of the team. Its do as he says, not as he does, and if you disagree with him you're part of the problem, even if you share the same broad view on the topic. Hes a PR companies nightmare.

the snail

Guru
And a large bag of chips :whistle:
Hamilton is a sandwich short of a picnic.
Wow the Hamilton-haters are out again. I would have thought that someone coming from a modest background and achieving success in a rich-kids sport, probably one of the most successful british sportsmen ever might be worth celebrating,but no... certainly being black and successful and speaking out seems to generate a lot of resentment in some folks.

screenman

Legendary Member
Wow the Hamilton-haters are out again. I would have thought that someone coming from a modest background and achieving success in a rich-kids sport, probably one of the most successful british sportsmen ever might be worth celebrating,but no... certainly being black and successful and speaking out seems to generate a lot of resentment in some folks.

I thought that as well.

Drago

Legendary Member
I dont hate him. Hes undoubtedly an ace driver, he he has my utter admiration for what he's achieved behind the wheel.

However, there is simply no denying the fact that quite often when he opens his mouth a pile of utter s**** rolls out. He complains about racism, yet has a history of bad taste remarks in other areas of diversity, and is happy to take a fat salary from a firm that used Jewish slave labour in WWII and which has never publicly apologised for it. He preaches about the planet, while taking unnecessary private jet flights and being in the one of the most environmentally damaging sports known to man. He boasts about how proud he is to be British, but not so proud that he would choose to live and pay taxes here. Being an ace wheel man does nothing to detract from the hypocrisy and arrogance of some of the rubbish he trots out.

And let us not forget that once he'd gone beyond karting he was bankrolled by Ron Dennis all the way into F1, so don't wax too lyrical over the fact that his Dad wasn't rich, and don't fall for the penniless boy fighting his way to the top myth. With Ron Dennis' backing and influence he had one of the most charmed journeys into F1 of anyone.

And his comments this weekend were beyond the pale. Suggesting that if you don't do exactly what he says then you couldn't possibly support the same cause as him is breathtakingly arrogant. Similarly, he has a track record of blaming adverse incidents in F1 on his skin colour and being hauled in front of the FIA and forced to apologise for the blatant untruth of it.

Being one of the best drivers of his generation does not alter any of these other facts. I admire him greatly, just so long as he keeps his mouth shut and let's his driving do the talking.

Strling Moss was another driver that believed his own hype. Very talented driver, utter tool as a person. I met him once and can confirm the truth of that.

Schumacher was to some degree the opposite. Brilliant driver, but perhaps a bit too Dick Dastardly on the track, and had a career of dodgy incidents. However, off the track was (hopefully still is) one of the nicest, intelligent, generous, warm human beings you could ever encounter. I've met him too - I was one of the stooges tasked with guarding him at Northampton General after he broke his legs at the British GP - and in our brief 30 second encounter he greeted me, asked how I was, thanked me for doing my job, and wished me a good day. A class act off the track.

Being brilliant at your job and successful in your field of endeavour does not automatically make you a rounded personality, and we should not be sycophants and blind to the flaws in our heroes. Theres little doubt that Hamilton is one of the best in his world ever at what he does, but as a character leaves a lot to be desired.

Last edited:
If anyone deserves the plaudits, it's Lewis' DAD - his kid just drove the karts.

(but I can't believe Schuey as a nice human being! i think sport tells us a lot about a person's character, and his on-track character was not something to be admired. IMHO of course ... )

Top Bottom