Fab Fabian

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vorsprung

Veteran
I want Cancellara to win the whole thing now. That finish was epic. For him do that in yellow was like Eddie Merckx or something. Marvellous.

chris42

Yes all depends if he can hang on to his team in the high mountains!
A big ask but Indurain did it!

skut

Hey kids, aren't y'all getting a bit carried away.

You're not obliged to suspend your disbelief, you know.

chris42

skut said:
Hey kids, aren't y'all getting a bit carried away.

You're not obliged to suspend your disbelief, you know.

He's strong, has quite a good team and can really timetrial and with 2 long time trials to come.....

Last year Canch won Paris-Roubaix but wasn't selected for the Tour, despite being likely to top the prologue, because he can't climb.

Sastre is CSC leader and a climber. CSC will rally round him when it gets hilly, including Canch as a domestique.

If Sastre falters, Shleck might be an alternative leader if he's going well, Voigt too perhaps - and I reckon one or both of these two could get a stage.

But not Canch, although it was great to see all the sprinters' teams mess-up yesterday and him win the stage.

dbg

How closely do you follow pro cycling? He can't climb for toffee and will lose massive amounts of time when the cols rear their heads.

chris42

dbg said:
How closely do you follow pro cycling? He can't climb for toffee and will lose massive amounts of time when the cols rear their heads.

I follow it a bit but I said IF he can hang on. He is a big powerfull guy and hasn't climbed well in the past but.....

chris42

Keith Oates said:
Nothing is impossible, but I would be very suprised if he continues in Yellow once the hills start!!!

Yes I agree
He has an outside chance of top 10 with the 2 long time trials if he can pull out performances like the prolog.

Well this is what the man himself says....

From Le Tour's own website

After a week in the lead of the Tour de France, Fabian Cancellara is aware that it’s all about to change. With the mountains on the horizon, he has effectively surrendered his yellow jersey but the Swiss CSC rider believes that his heir could indeed be a team-mate.

“I’m in yellow and the sun is shining and I’ve had a good time. Tomorrow is another day and it presents a new objective for me. I want to help my team-mates like Carlos Sastre and Frank Schleck because they’ve done great work for me all week. We’re now exchanging roles: it’ll be Fabian on the front in yellow and those two following… until the climbs when they’ll take charge.
“It was hot today and I expect the next few days will be warmer still. The Tour really begins tomorrow.
“It’s been something special for this week. It’s beautiful but it has taken time to realize what happened. Tomorrow on the climbs, I’ll try to do the best I can but I just want to help my team-mates as long as possible. Today was an easy day. It was windy but after yesterday I think everybody was thinking along the same lines: rest easy before what’s to come.”

Monty Dog

He'll be lucky to keep within 30 minutes by the end of the weekend. Although Indurain was nearly as big, he'd already proven himself with a mountain victory in 1989 before he went on to take his 5 victories.

Top Bottom