Face? Bothered? Face? Bothered?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andy 71

Victoria Embankment nearing Westminster bridge - 9.10 this morning.

Andy71 riding behind scooter who is in turn behind WVM. Road widens to three lanes post the coach parking.

Scooter moves to nearside lane. WVM, without mirroring or indicating just veers to the left, nearly taking out scooter.

Andy 71 pulls up alongside WVM.
'Are you blind or something mate?'.
'You what?'
'Ever use your mirrors or indicators?'.
'Eh?'.
'Well, you just pulled right out and nearly crushed a scooter'
'Yeah, whatever!'

Now, this came from a guy who appeared to be in his late. Not a Vicky Pollard-esque teenage chav.

Utterly casual about the fact he nearly maimed someone. Typical cager.

Reminds me of that Catherine Tate character - 'Am I bovvered??'

Arch

Married to Night Train
Andy 71 said:
Utterly casual about the fact he nearly maimed someone. Typical cager.

Reminds me of that Catherine Tate character - 'Am I bovvered??'

Utterly casual? Or bricking it inside, and trying to save face?

Of course, you may well be right, but I wonder if he was just trying to seem cool about it, and his 'whatever' was just the only thing he could manage to say while inwardly cringing...

Still, good on you for at least trying to make him see the error of his ways. It is possible that he'll be a bit more careful in future.

God, I'm unwontedly optimistic today aren't I? It'll wear off....:biggrin:

Tynan

Veteran
the wmv probably had no idea what you were on about and cared even less

the scooterist had probably seen it all before

spen666

Legendary Member
did I read this right?

Scooter tries to undertake white van as roadwidens?

Shouldn't scooter have overtaken?

Arch

Married to Night Train
I don't know the road, but I'd assume it was just the lane the scooter needed to be in of the three - he might not have been trying to actually pass the van, which seemed to be staying in the middle... Van changes lane a moment later, having not seen (or looked for) scooterist, who has continued in his lane at the pace of the traffic in it... Van may have slowed slightly, while deciding which lane to be in?

OP
OP
A

Andy 71

Road widens to three lanes. 10 metres later, WVM stays firmly planted in middle lane (one of two turning right). Scooter joins nearside (turn left) and starts to pass line of traffic to her right. WVM without a bye or leave, just pulls out, nearly knocking her over. So she was not undertaking

Rider on scooter was a small lady and chose to ride on, despite this.

I on the other hand felt inclined to say something. Not only did he not indicate, but more fundamentaly, he plainly didn't bother to check his mirror.

Amanda P

Legendary Member
At the instant when WVM glanced at his mirror (if he did), the scooter might have been in his blind spot - which is pretty large on the left hand side of a panel van.

Not that that's any excuse - a regular van driver should know this and take account of it. It just warrants pointing out - if you can't see a van driver's face in the mirrors, be VERY wary - especially if you're passing him on the left.

Andy 71 said:
Scooter joins nearside (turn left) and starts to pass line of traffic to her right. WVM without a bye or leave, just pulls out, nearly knocking her over. So she was not undertaking

I wasn't there, I didn't see it, I don't know this bit of road, but...

scooter passes traffic on the left, WVM pulls in, sounds like undertaking.

Arch

Married to Night Train
I think the issue is that the traffic in the middle lane (the white van) was moving slower than that in the left (the scooter). It sounds like the lady was not undertaking in the sense of 'trying to get past', but yes, was undertaking in the sense of 'keeping up with traffic in her lane', which I believe is perfectly allowed...

TimO

Guru
I guess you mean around here, and you could quite validly be in the left hand turn lane (going south) and moving even if the other two lanes, which are turning right, are stationary or slowly moving.

Top Bottom