Face/Breathing Masks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

l4dva

Guru
Hi there,

Not sure if this has been done before but I was just woundering what your thorts are on those breathing masks (not sure what they are called).

I was cycling back from central london today and I could pretty much taste the polution in the air, I noticed a few people with these beathing mask type things covering there mouth, im assuming they filter out all the crap allowing you to breath just clean air or clearer air, dose anyone here use then? could anyone recomend one too me as well??

Thanks!

toekneep

Greenfly filters probably.:sad:

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
Good training aid. Strap one of those to your face for the daily commute and just watch how much better your lungs get at processing 20% of the normal intake.

I've heard bad story's about them, folk needing to spit, throwing up etc. plus the restraint on breathing naturally. I don't think I'd like anything constraining my breathing but then again I don't commute in london.

The Saturday before last at about 9.30 a cyclist came past our club meeting point wearing a massive one (mask that is), it seemed a bit overkill for a Saturday morning in Edinburgh.

D

Deleted member 1258

l4dva said:
Hi there,

Not sure if this has been done before but I was just woundering what your thorts are on those breathing masks (not sure what they are called).

I was cycling back from central london today and I could pretty much taste the polution in the air, I noticed a few people with these beathing mask type things covering there mouth, im assuming they filter out all the crap allowing you to breath just clean air or clearer air, dose anyone here use then? could anyone recomend one too me as well??

Thanks!

I doubt if wearing one of those things would do me any good. I have been riding for that many years and have done that many miles that any damage from pollution that might be done has probably already been done.

dondare

Über Member
l4dva said:
Hi there,

Thanks!

You get used to the pollution.

Davidc

Guru
Last research I read said they were totally useless, just reduced respiration efficiency.

It also said a cyclist breathes in less pollutants than a car driver/ passenger.

Fortunately I don't need to worry about it these days, and like dave r I'll have breathed in so much over the years that any more wouldn't make any difference anyway!

OP
OP
L

l4dva

Guru
hmm ok thanks for your advice, ive gone off the idea now!

I suppose it can't be as bad as the dirt you breath in on the underground...

NigC

I'm sure you all remember the SARS and Swine Flu outbreaks recently? Well, my wife, being from Hong Kong where SARS really started to come to the attention of the world, told me that these masks are a regular sight in HK.

But they're not being worn to protect the wearer from contracting any nasties, but to PREVENT them from spreading it should they be unlucky enough to catch something. Pressumably the mask's main function is to prevent coughs and sneezes from releasing germs into the air.

Alan Whicker

These are those Respro things? I used to wear one, but it was more trouble than it was worth. Whe I got mine about ten years ago, it was all about keeping 'diesel particulates' out of your lungs. It would never stay in place, it gave me spots and the area under the mask got all sweaty and red. In fact, I'm sure I read somewhere once that because you have to breath harder, the benefits of the mask were negated.

Andy 71

That's why your lungs have mucus - to pick up the particulates you inhale.

Wasn't there a study recently saying something like you breathe in 10 times more crud sitting in a car in stationary traffic, than would do if you were outside riding a bike past the queue?

Top Bottom