Face Masks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Although I love bike commuting, I hate the urban pollution and road spray from large vehicles.

My commute is all on A roads and often through queuing traffic.

The catarrh in the back of the throat and groggy chest is more than an irritation. As an asthmatic, it’s a health issue

Does anyone use face masks and if so, do they work? Spoken to a couple of people who’ve used them and they say they’re suffocating.

Fantus

I ride with one, mostly for warmth though. Don't suffer the same pollution issues here, I've lived in London though so know exactly what it's like. The issue can be that it takes a little more effort to draw a deep breath through the fabrics/filters. it's not a huge difference but it can be noticeable. Depends on how hard/fast you ride.

Norm

Since it arrived, I have constantly used one of the CC neck tubes over my mouth and nose. Usually just for the first few minutes of the ride, then I just drop it down a bit, but I've used a Buff on every motorbike ride for the past 5 years too.

It filters the worst of the smells and the best bit is that you can wash it through after each ride, at the same time as you wash your hands, and it's fresh again for the next stint.

Respro was started by a guy a year behind me at design college, I managed the first bike shop to sell them and I've owned a couple over the years.

Have a read of their literature, I reckon you'd be a prime candidate for one. I found them to be too much of a faff for general use, especially with all the other crap; helmet, eyewear, gloves. But they do work, you only need to take a look at the filter after a couple of days, or ride for a week with one and then go without. You'll really notice how badly the world stinks. What I ended up doing was hanging it around my neck and lifting it into position when I most needed it.

I have to use one occasionally because the cold air makes me cough on my early morning commutes.Hard to get used to though as I dont use it all the time.

Top Bottom