Facebook contact.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

postman

Legendary Member
So Tuesday i clicked a friend request.From a chap i played football with in 1976.I was the club Secretary and goalkeeper,he was the centre forward.So after a few posts,he asked me did i know his uncle.Now i am 70 he is around the same age,we last saw each other 1976.His uncle was a postman,so when he mentioned his name i was astounded.Colin was my tutor way back in January 1972,he was part of the training team at the local delivery office i began at.Anyway yesterday he sent me another message could i find him ,well what i had not told him the day before,as not to upset him Colin had passed away about two years ago,it was bad it was cancer.Three of us his old workmates went to the funeral.So yesterday i had to tell him,well he thanked because he had been trying to find him.It seems families break up and argue.The final thing i could do for him was post a photo to his FB page,you see i had a photo of Colin when he was working at Royal Mail when he was younger and fitter.My mate could not believe it and actually neither could i ,incredible really.

classic33

Leg End Member
Not all requests for information for people you have known, have a happy outcome.

You did the best you could, given the circumstances.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I had a similar situation when one of my student climbing club buddies died. Another member of the group, John, took it upon himself to handle the social side and inform members of the club, except for one named Clive who John had never liked. Months after the funeral I received a phone call from poor Clive, in distress, saying he had just heard our friend had died and was it true? I had to confirm that yes, it was true and that yes, Clive had missed the funeral and the wake.

I can never forget Clive's distress and I can never forgive John for the omission, which must have been deliberate.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Hi @postman. I'm finding your post very hard to read with no spaces after the full stops.

I wonder why this gets picked up by some readers..
I'm not making a point at you @alicat .

But I genuinely don't notice things like this I just read it..I may think it should have been read by poster before posting ,edit ect

Maybe it's my mild dyslexia, I don't know but I rarely notice punctuation missing.

Grammar yes if it doesn't make sense but I usually manage to understand the point.

Venod

Eh up
Facebook gets a lot of bad press and deservedly so, but it does have its positive side, although not good news for Postmans old teammate it did get him info he didn't have.

alicat

Legendary Member
When I learned to type on a clunky old manual typewriter ( a Corona - where have I heard that name recently :whistle:) it was always two spaces after a full stop. I still do that, though forum software sometimes edits out 'extra' spaces.

Yes, I learnt to touch type with two spaces after a full stop or a colon. Thankfully, the only childhood contact with corona was dandelion and burdock.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
After a two year battle with cancer, my very close friend was admitted to the local hospice last January. He used FB to let everyone far and wide know where he was and that the end was near. This resulted in a load of people who either don't know what a hospice is or didn't read his post properly, and he spent the following day reading loads of 'get well soon' messages. I sat by his bedside as he was replying to them, repeatedly muttering 'for fecks sake' under his breath. Sad times but in a way it's quite a happy memory.

Glad FB saved the day (who have thunk that!). FB really just saves lazy people cc'ing everyone they (really actually) know on an email.
It solves a problem that doesn't really exist - well unless you can't actually be bothered to add a several people into an email.
Search-ability to contact someone isn't a good thing in my book, despite it working for the OP's contact.

Top Bottom