Fairlight Faran build

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Forgot to start this earlier so here goes now, better late than never.

Had been thinking of changing my All-City Super Professional as it has always been a bit too big and was looking at something that could also be used for touring/bikepacking.

The Faran arrived late September(earlier than Fairlight had said) so stayed in it's box for a couple of weeks while I sorted some bits to start.

It will mostly use parts from the All-City plus some new parts like mudguards, front rack, stem etc; so the process of moving parts had to be worked out as I would still be using the All-City for a bit.

So so far the Di2 cable is routed through as is the dummy dynamo cable, bars swapped over with a new Sim-Works/Honjo stem and front rack.

Next job is fitting the mudguards which I should get on Friday .

Pics on this thread;

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/what-have-you-fettled-today.87079/page-1008#post-7093877

OP
OP
Elybazza61

Elybazza61

Guru
Some more progress over the last few days.

Mudguards are on and the rack stays now cut; still have a few little things to finish the mudguards but the next job is cutting the steerer and inserting the star nut.
Then it should be getting the mount for the rear Supernova light on the mudguard and drilling the bars for the internal Di2 y-cable.

Some pics;

DSC_1483.JPG

DSC_1482.JPG

DSC_1478.JPG

Hope RX-4 + calliper

DSC_1485.JPG

SimWorks by Nitto Obento rack

DSC_1484.JPG

SimWorks by Honjo mudguards (no holes in the blades everything had to be drilled!)

DSC_1479.JPG

Wheels are just to get the mudguards sorted and will be replaced with more stealthy Halo Vapour/sp/Hope set.
Oh and the yellow thing is a cover for the Knog Skout alarm/tracker with will be replaced with a bottle cage over the Skout.

OP
OP
Elybazza61

Elybazza61

Guru
More progress.

All drilling etc on the mudguards now done including the rear light mount and dynamo in-out holes.

Bars drilled and di2 cables routed and connected.

Hoses properly connected and rear calliper bled plus fork steerer cut.

Starting to look like a proper bike;

IMG_4952.jpeg

Di2 bar routing;

IMG_4946.jpeg

IMG_4956.jpeg

Rear light mount (cable hole now also drilled)

IMG_4954.jpeg

Dynamo cable out using di2 grommet.

IMG_4955.jpeg

Hopefully tomorrow will clean some bits from the All-City and can connect the di2 up to the battery and rear mech to test.

Still may take some spacers out and roll the bars down a bit but will see how it rides as-is first.

OP
OP
Elybazza61

Elybazza61

Guru
Getting there now although had some glitches; the main one being my fault for not reading the q&a section :rolleyes::whistle:.

Basically knew that the dynamo doesn't run through the bb but didn't see that the di2 cables won't either if you run a 30mm spindle with the hope crankset has :banghead::rolleyes:.

So plan b and got the external bb junction and used that with doesn't look too bad, will have to run the dynamo cable externally for now though.

Also the front dynamo cable is too short to run from the rack to the internal fork routing so that will go via rack support arms and outside the fork leg; will mean it will be easier to fit whatever usb charger (cinq/sinewave etc) I decide to get.

Otherwise all good and now just have to bleed and set-up the front caliper and solder the dynamo cable plugs on.

Brooks recycled Cambium saddle and Wizard Works bag on;

IMG_4970.jpeg

IMG_4971.jpeg

Front Supernova;

IMG_4972.jpeg

And rear Supernova with cables inside mudguard with Shimano Di2 sheaths;

IMG_4973.jpeg

OP
OP
Elybazza61

Elybazza61

Guru
The rack. Why are they so expensive?

Made in Japan and in relatively small batches.

Top Bottom