What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gwylan

Veteran

1698375690793.jpeg

Not tried it myself - ought to taste better than dog tablets :laugh:

I took the chain-rings & chain off my work-bike, the 'Biscuit'

The rings were wiped with a diesel-soaked rag, to remove grime from between each tooth
The chain went into red-diesel to soak, before a scrub with an old toothbrush
The jockey-wheels & cassette were also scrubbed/cleaned

The front pads had been squealing for a while, I was going to try a blowtorch on them, to see if there was any contaminant, but the gas-cylinder was empty, so I contented myself with sand-papering to remove the glaze

Replacement wheel for the LWB, old one had rusted spokes and knackered bearings/races
Mitch 1.jpg

Also gave the fork a quick flash over with matt black spray to smarten in up.
Mitch has hopped aboard for the ride - told him if he misbehaves he can skedaddle.
Mitch2.jpg

Case you're wondering, he's attached to the spigot that was used for under seat steering experiment of some years back.

A bit of enforced fettling from me tonight. Ive had a slow, slow p'ture for a month and I could pump it up, it'd comfortably hold pressure and I'd get about 3-5 days out of it until it went down overnight. If I didn't live alone with no pets I would be suspecting someone of undoing the presta valve. I think I only got 3 days out of it this time so I changed the tube and everything seemed good with the rim and tyre. If it goes down again it'll be a new tyre too but hopefully not a new rim.

tinywheels

Über Member
Replacement wheel for the LWB, old one had rusted spokes and knackered bearings/races
View attachment 712187
Also gave the fork a quick flash over with matt black spray to smarten in up.
Mitch has hopped aboard for the ride - told him if he misbehaves he can skedaddle.
View attachment 712188
Case you're wondering, he's attached to the spigot that was used for under seat steering experiment of some years back.

that's awesome, could you get it to illuminate?

tinywheels

Über Member
as for Fettle stuff. Dropped the Brompton off for a service, 80 squid plus parts. Holy guacamole Batman, that's 149.00 vat included.
Mind you,it's well in need of dealership attention. My tragic attempts at maintenance culminated in a rear wheel puncture repair in a downpour and pitch black. I limped home soaked, covered in crud and in low spirits.
The gear pusher had gone AWOL and only two of the three remaining gears were in evidence. My spirit broken I headed to Brompton dealers par excellence Brilliant Bikes.

Pics showing the slow progress of the new Fairlight Faran build which has been taking most of my fettling time over the past few works.

Mudguards next to attach(when I pick them up from Sam at Bicycle Ambulance/Freshtripe; can then get the dynamo sorted and finalise the position of the front rack.

Di2 cables are threaded through already and waiting to decide how I'll run them on the handlebars (looking at running inside the bars:unsure:, only a few holes to drill :blink:).

Also considering a Sinewave or plug 2 usb charger as it should be straightforward on an un-cut steel fork.

Another though is about if I put a rear rack permanently on or just use my Tailfinn when needed.Will have a basket on the front and will mostly run with Wizard Works bags; also need to decide on what to use on the fork mounts, short term will use the Problem Solvers bow ties but will look at anything type cages and the Allygn fork racks that will be out next year.

DSC_1439.JPG

DSC_1440.JPG

Hope RX4+ calipers

DSC_1441.JPG

High stack for the moment;

DSC_1443.JPG

Sim Works X Honjo stem;

DSC_1446.JPG

King cage

DSC_1449.JPG

This is a proper long term project and I'm trying to get things sorted properly rather than rushing to get it done; also means that costs can be spread out ^_^.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
All done :smile:
kept the 8 speed chainset for now till the 10 speed turns up and i think the noise from the wheel is brake rub as the rear needs truing but its rideable so i will try that 1st as although i have better wheels keeping giant branded seems right .
front and rear shifters fully new cable install inners and outers which was a learning moment as the cable entry into the shifter was in a different place to normal and the LH shifter is missing the cover that the hole is supposed to be in so i had to thread it directly into the mechanism .
handlebar tape , just cheap stuff i had knocking about .
Next job will be to source a micro adjust seatpost as mentioned i can never get the single bolt kind spot on level ,
Need to add pedals and turn the front wheel so the qr is on the left
1699125459617.jpeg

Top Bottom