What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Minor modification to the Ortlieb panniers. The carry handle 'plastic cover' had fallen to bits with age, and it's been a little uncomfortable to carry, so ordered some PU pipe (I'll use what's left to change the gearbox oil on the Aygo) and replaced the cover on the handle. Much better now.

Jameshow

Veteran
Minor modification to the Ortlieb panniers. The carry handle 'plastic cover' had fallen to bits with age, and it's been a little uncomfortable to carry, so ordered some PU pipe (I'll use what's left to change the gearbox oil on the Aygo) and replaced the cover on the handle. Much better now.

Pics??

I had to carry my panniers 1/2 mile on Saturday and they weren't comfortable?

fossyant

Here we go
Clear PU pipe

10mm ID x 13mm OD (3/8" x 1/2")... Amazon product ASIN B00ABXC9YQView: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00ABXC9YQ?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

20231113_103100.jpg

fossyant

My Aldi/lidl fakes dont have that!

The Ortliebs have been worth the investment. I think I paid about £70 for Front Roller classics, slightly smaller than the rears but ideal for the commute and more flexible than the city due to the roll top. Ignore the 'front' name, they are just smaller.

They have been hammered, crashed and what ever. They still work, if a little tatty, especially on the rear surfaces. They don't leak. I've a few repairs made, but they have held up.

I cut the old plastic covers off the handles, then unscrewed a self tapper, then threaded the strap through the 'replacement' tube.

The Ortliebs have been worth the investment. I think I paid about £70 for Front Roller classics, slightly smaller than the rears but ideal for the commute and more flexible than the city due to the roll top. Ignore the 'front' name, they are just smaller.

They have been hammered, crashed and what ever. They still work, if a little tatty, especially on the rear surfaces. They don't leak. I've a few repairs made, but they have held up.

I cut the old plastic covers off the handles, then unscrewed a self tapper, then threaded the strap through the 'replacement' tube.

This is one advantage of Ortliebs; they last through a lot of punishment and we can repair the bits that do wear out. They give the impression that their designers actually went touring with them.

chriswoody

Legendary Member
Continued with the 200 hour fork service today. I'm taking it slowly and methodically being as I've never done it before. Luckily the SRAM tech docs are really thorough and detailed.

Last time I'd cleaned and renewed the seals on the internals for the air spring upper leg. I started today with greasing the airshock assembly, it's a clever little thing, the various different black shims can be removed or added as necessary to change the overall fork travel from 100mm to 150mm. Then I popped it all back together.

IMG_20231113_200753963~2.jpg

Then I turned my attention to the compression and rebound damper assembly. I disassembled it as per instructions and then laid it all out to inspect it.

IMG_20231113_204452711~2.jpg

The compression/rebound assembly runs in an oil bath and the oil was pretty dirty and annoyingly there is a lot of it. Yep, I'd neglected to read the instructions properly about how much there was and I don't have enough to replace it. Oh well I've a litre of 15w Rockshox oil on the way now, so I'll have to wait until it arrives before I can reassemble it.

Last edited:

Big John

Guru
Went out his morning for a very wet ride. To add to the misery the freehub decided to play up. I was spinning the pedals and going nowhere and then the pawls would catch and I'd be moving again. So the afternoon was spent changing the freehub. An easy job but time consuming but when you're retired time isn't an issue. Bike now fixed and ready for Thursday's ride. Road tested and ready to go.

chriswoody

Legendary Member
So with the oil now arrived and some free time after work I decided to crack on and finish the 200 hour service on my forks.

I started by replacing all the O rings on the compression/rebound assembly as well as the scraper ring. Popping it all back together involved several makeshift dowels made out of old tent poles/pencils and broom handles. The new 15W oil was poured into the stanchion before it was bolted together. The colour of the old oil compared to the new can be seen below.

IMG_20231116_171915797.jpg

With the upper fork leg complete I popped the lower legs on and popped some oil in before bolting them on. All that remains now is to give them one last clean up before bolting it all back onto the bike.

IMG_20231116_180225323.jpg

One thing I love about jobs like this, as well as the satisfaction of doing the job yourself, is the knowledge I've gained about how these things work, that is, provided I've not made any mistakes!

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
I managed to catch a water-filled pothole with a tremendous bang late on Wednesday. It dented the rear rim, so I had to make a quick rim transplant this afternoon. That means I have no more old-style 36h Mavic Openpros. All the other bikes have fewer spokes so, with luck, this one will last me several years.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Cleaned the Merida Cyclo-Cross after three days of damp commuting, finished cleaning the Viner Mitus after last weekend's 210km audax plus a rear derailleur adjustment.

The fake Guerciotti/Raleigh Mk6 Professional has had a quill stem swap so I can sell on the 1950's Dawes stem it came with. It's now got a fairly-close-to-original Cinelli stem but I'm still unsure what to do with the bike. Half of me wants to keep and re-spray it, the other half wants to strip and sell the thing. For now it's getting winter wheels with studs for when it's nasty outside and I'll decide over the winter.

Top Bottom