What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

november4

When I first changed the Kona to tubeless, I used a sealant that, whilst great at blocking larger holes, was also great at clogging valves. I've since swapped to Stans Sealant, which has proved much better. The front valve has been giving me lots of agro still, so I've purchased two new Muc Off tubeless valves that I fitted today. As usual with Muc-Off products, these are really nicely made, with an allen key recess in the base to help tighten/loosen the valve, as well as an integrated valve core removal tool in the valve cap. Whilst I was there, I also topped up the sealant which was looking a bit low.

View attachment 710539

As well as new valves, I also treated the bike to a new chain, the old one has been there a fair while now and showing around 0.75 of wear.

I have these valves & stans too, and periodically have to change the cores. I just bought a supply from amazon and carry a couple with me. Typically I'll go to pump up/check pressures before a ride and notice the core not perfectly aligned, so just change it out. Think its just a tubeless 'feature'

Gave the DKP a clean and polish, and dubbin on the saddle, prepped for winter storage with a dust cover on in the garage.

View attachment 710848

What about the Blingpin?

tinywheels

Über Member
washed the bike ready for next week

Attachments

• 16979737998625944546909302962578.jpg
    16979737998625944546909302962578.jpg
    226.5 KB · Views: 4

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
This morning I stripped the Raleigh SP Race and prepped it for sale - at £10

After cleaning the parts of a load of grime and dirt, which despite good intentions after last winter I've not really had any opportunity to do due to family issues, attention then turned to the Merida frameset I picked up on Friday. Originally it was one of these:

56da6.jpg

The installed Shimano Tiagra bottom bracket turned out to be both stuck internally and seized externally. :cursing: . Ah well, it wasn't named in the eBay listing. So ... bottom bracket out ... eventually ... and the used CeramicSpeed bottom bracket I had on my Dawes Giro turbo bike went in. I also re-aligned the derailleur hanger as it was very wonky .

The cleaned parts from the Raleigh SP Race then mostly went onto the Merida. I had to use a different seatpost (27.2 vs. 34.9 on the Raleigh) and different front derailleur bracket (clamp plus braze-on as the Ultegra 6800's 34.9mm clamp wouldn't fit :blink: ) but otherwise everything went on.

I chose to use up some light green cable outer as this was spare plus some Pro bar tape and a new chain. All in and the finished product looks like this - noting that it won't normally have a rear wheel plus the front's an old one in need of a new hub:

PXL_20231022_173151964.jpg

It'll be on the turbo tomorrow, where it should simply remain unless emergencies occur.

Last edited:

EckyH

Checked the distance between the chainrings (the outer is a Miche, the inner is a FSA) on the commuter: on the Shimano 6650 crank it's significantly less (roughly 1.5mm) than on the 9speed Sora crank. Probably I'll make some shims.

Then I changed the front light from the original BUMM EyC to a SON Edelux. What a difference - despite the SON is years older than the BUMM.

E.

Gwylan

Veteran
Out with management cycling. Thumping rattle as she went over every bump.

Me: What's that noise?
She: Don't know , happens whenever I go over a bump
Me: Don't you worry it might break?
She: Doesn't seem like a breaking noise. Does seem to be getting worse though.
Me: Never mind it'll drop off and then the noise will go away
She: Oh, will it?

We've survived 48 years together. Do wonder how. But I did travel a lot.

Refurbished the battery carrier on management's bike. Surprise, the rattle has gone.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Finally got round to fitting the single speed freewheel to my Dunelt winter bike just need to adjust the rear brake now

Gwylan

Veteran
Well today I let the professionals loose to fettle my Cowboy ebike.

The alleged faulty part was replaced. Then the bike failed the software test. Yes, bloody software.
The technician, who seemed to be about 11, assured me that he knew what he was doing. The bike, in Dulwich, had been tested by the Belgian supplier. The wonders of the internet.
The consensus now is that it's a faulty battery. We have been having this discussion since I've had the bike.

Next, try a replacement batter and then decide what happens next.

For me a whole day, 120 miles round trip and had to buy the management lunch out.

Challenge is what shall I replace it with? Better the devil you know and all that.

I was trying out our (towball mounted) bike carrier, to find the best way to carry our new ebikes. Whilst doing so, I inadvertently knocked the chain of Mrs Salad's new steed off the front chainring.

She is a little, shall we say, protective of her bike, and WW3 would have broken out if she saw her bike chain dangling folornly under the bike.

A quick session on the maintenance stand followed by a ride around the block confirmed that all is now well again. Phew!

Top Bottom