Falcon Cyclone replacing chainring/crank

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PSABIN8951

Hi all, my first post on here and still finding my feet....
I have a Falacon Cyclone Optima mountain bike which was given to me as part of a long service package at work, its an ok bike but in the short time ive had it ive suffered badly with chains coming off parts breaking etc ive now uprated the rear to a studier Shimano lump which works and adjust just fine. The Front derailleur which has plastic parts has snapped so ive got an uprated item coming for that.
All that left now is the chainring/crank and the horrible twistgrip gear changers to go so heres my questions:-
1. Does anyone know what tools I need to replace the chainring/crank - do i need a splined extractor tool?
2. Does this bike have a square taper bottom bracket?
3. What should I replace the twisgrip with for reliable easy operation?

Thanks in advance.

Cyclopathic

Veteran
I am currently thinking about swapping chainrings on my mtb and my hybrid. As far as I can tell (and I'm really just finding my way myself) The only "special" tool required is the crank extractor which has a socket to get the crank nut off which then allows you to screw the tool on to the crank adn then scew down the pin to ease the crank off. After that I assume it's just a matter of disasembling the chain rings with an allen key andreplacing them with your new ones.
I've not figured out linking yet but go to you tube and enter "bike tutor" or "Bycycle tutor" into the search and there's a guy who goes through most jobs on a bike in a clear and easily understandable way. I think he will explain better than I can.
I will be keeping my eye on this thread though as I'm hoping to pick up any hints and tips myself. Not that this is much help but I personally prefer the indexed up and down handlebar mounted, thumb operated gear shifters over the twisty grip ones.:smile:

gbb

Legendary Member
Hiya PSA..
Don't know the exact makeup of the Cyclone, but realistically, it;ll be a square taper BB.
The axle may have male threads on the end with nuts, or be female threaded to accept a bolt for the cranks.

There'll probably be a cap in the centre of the crank, lever it off and you'll probably be presented with a nut or bolt, and you'll probably see a female threaded area (roughly 1 inch dia) in the crank. Use a (probably) 14mm socket and remove the nut or bolt, then you need a crank extracting tool to remove the cranks. Thread in the extractor carefully and fully, make sure you dont cross the threads, then use a wrench or ratchet to wind in the inner part of the extractor, this'll pull the crank off.

Your gripshifts...not sure whats cheaply or readily available to replace them....do you hate them that much ?

Top Bottom