Falcon Majorca Restoration

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
mjr

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
No big changes. After 110mi on the roadster at the weekend, it looks like this week's hoped for 110km on the falcon won't happen :sad:

Only thing of note to report was almost a silly crash today. As I rolled up the slope to the hedge outside my home with my hands on the bar tops, I reached for the suicide levers just to finally stop... and was reminded that the falcon doesn't have them: that was my old Apollo! :laugh: Fortunately, I was going slow enough to stop by foot and not put the bike in the hedge. :blush:

So I guess the fit is nearly right if it feels that much like my old road bike!

You are lucky it was not a trip to A&E.
I gave up with the unpredictable text!
I see the you are managing to control the beast then!

Reactions: mjr
m08 said:
No big changes. After 110mi on the roadster at the weekend, it looks like this week's hoped for 110km on the falcon won't happen :sad:

Only thing of note to report was almost a silly crash today. As I rolled up the slope to the hedge outside my home with my hands on the bar tops, I reached for the suicide levers just to finally stop... and was reminded that the falcon doesn't have them: that was my old Apollo! :laugh: Fortunately, I was going slow enough to stop by foot and not put the bike in the hedge. :blush:

You could put some stickit notes on your handlebars to remind yourself in future.

I

I am glad that you are getting on with your Falcon. What make of brakes have you got ?

OP
OP
mjr

mjr

Now the crunch question: should I replace this bike I've now done about 250 miles on with an unnamed 1988 Condor in 531st that's half an inch bigger, has cantilevers and a six speed rear that I've the opportunity to buy? How should I decide?

ChrisEyles

Guru
Depends on whether you think you'll miss the Falcon... if so I'd keep it even if it may not be the "better" bike, but then I am probably more sentimental than most about bikes.

Otherwise a test ride is the only way to know for sure whether the Condor's going to be more fun to ride!

IMO cantilever brakes perform noticeably better than old caliper brakes (can't comment on modern dual-pivot ones, I've never owned a bike with them), which may be a plus if you're having any *interesting* descents at the moment on the Falcon.

As ChrisEyles said do you need to replace your Falcon if you get the newer bike. I have become attached to mine now that I have sorted it's handling
Problem. It can be useful at times to have reserve bike in case one develops a fault.

OP
OP
mjr

mjr

do you need to replace your Falcon if you get the newer bike
Yes, it's an either/or deal because I don't have the space to keep both - I don't really have the space for one until I give up the red restored roadster discussed in @ChrisEyles's earlier thread. Whichever bike will be a reserve bike most of the time, used when the roadster is in bits.

Top Bottom