Fallen off your bike and scratched the brake hoods? Look at this....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Fell twice in five minutes on Thursday, once on each side and went for a bit of a slide down the road on ice. Both plastic brakes were pretty badly scratched but half an hour's work with some 180 grade then 240 grade wet and dry then a dab of car polish finished off with a spray with some clear lacquer had them looking almost as good as new:

20131228_184534_zpseccc519a.jpg

After

20131228_192845_zpsde0d8246.jpg

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Good job that

screenman

Legendary Member
Satin mat black and a bit more preparation would have got them spot on.

But if you are hsppy then that is job done.

ScotiaLass

Guru
Fell twice in five minutes on Thursday, once on each side and went for a bit of a slide down the road on ice. Both plastic brakes were pretty badly scratched but half an hour's work with some 180 grade then 240 grade wet and dry then a dab of car polish finished off with a spray with some clear lacquer had them looking almost as good as new:

20131228_184534_zpseccc519a.jpg

After

20131228_192845_zpsde0d8246.jpg

:bravo:

OP
OP
Globalti

Globalti

Legendary Member
Satin mat black and a bit more preparation would have got them spot on.

But if you are hsppy then that is job done.

You're right - I used to have a tin of satin black that I used on the Landy chassis, will have a look around for that.

Christopher

Über Member
Pah! Leave them - it's a mark of honour. I had some red paint flakes from a close encounter with a Nissan Micra in my shifters for ages and was proud of the fact. Didn't affect the shifters at all either.
But seriously: nice job!

OP
OP
Globalti

Globalti

Legendary Member
No serious injury thanks - skinned elbow and bruised hip and a bit of a sore neck for a day or two, that's all.

Another rider fell on black ice right ahead of us so we stopped and considered aborting the ride but decided to carry on carefully and as the ride progressed (and the rain started) it warmed up. Later in the ride we met a couple walking their bikes, she looking shocked with blood running down the right side of her face - she had fallen further back on a patch of ice. So we carried on carefully on what was by then a good grippy compact gravel track. Minutes later we met a man, wearing no helmet and only a Barbour jacket, with identical injuries to his face. He said he had fallen on a patch of ice and thought he'd concussed himself because he'd been unable to remember what day it was and wasn't sure where he was staying. We offered to accompany him but he told us he thought he knew where his aunt lived, where he was staying for the holiday. We carried on wondering how bad this ice was going to be and soon after that we found some old slushy water ice across a corner in a dip - not difficult to deal with if you just stayed upright and blasted across as it was all mixed up with gravel.

Back to the shifters: the problem is that this kind of soft plastic actually has its own slightly grainy texture, which it's difficult to reproduce so once you've sanded it, it will always look different. As it's black it reflects light and the texture gives it its tone.

Not dropped the Ribble yet (Tiagra group), but found black-ice twice in 500 yards a couple of winters ago
Second time I went down, I thought I'd broke my wrist & did see the proverbial stars!!

The Ultegra STI on the Dyna-Tech took a beating that day - left them as they were though

Both falls were on right-side of bike)

Attachments

• Dyna-Tech 755Ti. 6.JPG
    Dyna-Tech 755Ti. 6.JPG
    68.3 KB · Views: 50
Top Bottom