Falling off your SPDs?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Molecule Man

I fell in a ditch still clipped in when my girlfriend stopped suddenly in front of me in the Forest of Dean, it was a steep hill and we had all our camping gear so I was only going about 5 mph.
Before I got clipless pedals I had one embarrassing incident when my shoelace got wrapped around the pedal spindle. I noticed it, slowed down to stop, but then had a brainstorm and tried to dismount onto the foot that was stuck, and toppled over sideways onto the pavement.

I've had the opposite problem with the Crank Brothers egg-beater pedal/cleat combination. The brass cleats wore out after just a few months, leading to several occasions where my foot slipped off the pedal when I accelerated. I'm just wearing out the spare set of cleats, then I'm going to get soemthing else.

D4VOW

I had a couple of close calls when I first switched but never ended up on my ass, always managed to unclip and get a foot down just in time :smile:

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
Once i was trackstanding, and being pretty cocky in traffic. I was going right, but my arse was sticking into the other lane, so i was looking around.
There was a woman just at the side of me, i look over my left shoulder, then look forward, and start falling to the left.
Wacked her car, and had my hand on it.
Nice woman, she apologised to me, i was more worried she was going to get out and moan about my handlebars hitting her car.
Anyway, i was off fast from that!:smile::blush:

J4CKO

Once, when I first got them, lay down at a junction still clipped in, a couple of near misses, mainly down to motorists or me misjudging their intentions.

der alt

:birthday::blush:Did it this morning. First ride out fixed on the new bike ,completely forgot i was fixed, went to stop at a junction and did a none to graceful topple no harm done to rider or machine ..just pride what a numpty ps it's back to s/s again lol

007fair

on a single track road and I was pulling over to let a car past. Pleasant wave etc and then just as it was passing my pace dropped to just about zero and I started to fall onto the road in front of the car. heart beat missed .. got my foot down just in time and stayed mostly upright ..and gave the motorists a laugh It was almost suicide though !

Joe24

der alt said:
;):blush:Did it this morning. First ride out fixed on the new bike ,completely forgot i was fixed, went to stop at a junction and did a none to graceful topple no harm done to rider or machine ..just pride what a numpty ps it's back to s/s again lol

Come on, stay with the fixed. Dont let the little tumble put you off!!! You will be fine.
Trackstand, or get used to unclipping fixed, it is pretty easy really, just relax the leg and flick the heel out.
Keep at it!!!

der alt

Joe24 said:
Come on, stay with the fixed. Dont let the little tumble put you off!!! You will be fine.
Trackstand, or get used to unclipping fixed, it is pretty easy really, just relax the leg and flick the heel out.
Keep at it!!!

Gonna do one day on and one off just to get into it.

Joe24

johnr said:
:biggrin: No one except me fallen over at a bus stop? I thought it was compulsory. :laugh:

No, but i fell off when i thought a bus was going to go through a mini round about, clipped in, the bus didnt go, i didnt clip out, over i went.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Never whilst commuting (I have them set really loose) but in my MTB days I had a few spills. One ending with me lying on my back in mud with Chitty still clipped in above me (upside down), looking for all the world like we were riding in some inverse universe...legs still pedaling and everything!!

(it all happened so fast, strangley neither Chitty or i picked up a single scratch).

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
jonny jeez said:
Never whilst commuting (I have them set really loose) but in my MTB days I had a few spills. One ending with me lying on my back in mud with Chitty still clipped in above me (upside down), looking for all the world like we were riding in some inverse universe...legs still pedaling and everything!!

(it all happened so fast, strangley neither Chitty or i picked up a single scratch).
i've done that a few times. as much as i love my spd-sl's, riding off road in them isnt the best!

Top Bottom