Falling Off?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Telemark

Cycling is fun ...
Last time was 2 1/2 years ago in Austria, the loose gravel pulled the back wheel of the mountain bike out from under me :blush: . I rode back to the nearest car park and would have cycled back to base, but my dearly beloved and my cousin insisted that I should stop there, with my cousin riding ahead and bringing the car to drive me to A&E to get cleaned up ...

Much to everybody's surprise I came out of the treatment room with a plaster cast (after much digging for bits of gravel xx( ), as there was a deep hole just below the knee, very close to the Bursa synovialis (or in German: Schleimbeutel, which translates literally as slime bag :biggrin: ) and they felt it would heal faster if the knee was immobilised ... I spent the next 10 days reading books on the balcony and looking longingly at the mountains in the sunshine :angry: , with the plaster removed just before we left for home again...

Before that ... in 1993 :whistle: (needed some stitches above the left eye brow)

Before that ... got caught in tram lines when not paying attention, but got off lightly as I sort of managed to jump off as the bike went down.

Before that ... when I was a kid and learnt to cycle (?)

Don't tempt fate too often, if there is an easy solution :thumbsup:

T

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
First in 1976 when left hooked in Sunderland. Second early '80's coming home from beer tent at Sandtoft Gathering. Latest, 6 months ago when I lost a cleat bolt whilst stationary and had to slowly roll onto grass bank to take shoe off.
They are the only 3 offs I can remember though must have fallen off as a child :whistle: .

Broadside

Guru
I have come off twice when getting used to clipless, and also twice this year on ice. I won't be riding anymore when there is frost about, i agree with the OP the tarmac gets harder the more often you hit it. it's the scabs that take two weeks to go that I find most irritating. Ouch!

OP
OP
O

Oldie But Goodie

Once on a skate park on my mtb- broken wrist in 3 places
Once on commuter bike getting caught in train line on Bristol Docks, ended up caught in the line, went over the bars into a cafe wall (Brunel Buttery for thoughs who know bristol) and ended up with the bike on top of me. Took me a good 5 minutes to get up but apart from loads of bruising and scratches I was fine. My bike and helmet were ruined though. I now always avoid train lines!!!!!

Dandigas thats exactly what happened to me this morning on the docks by Brunels Buttery
I will always be careful there in the future and will continue to ride fixed.
ohmy.gif

Lots, but never on fixed, it always concentrates my mind somehow. One year I had so many spectacular offs that I won the club stabiliser award and most of them were my fault. The 2 worst of recent years was a rear entry through the back window of a hatchback [a whole story in itself] and a front tyre blow-out at over 40mph in the peaks straight into a very solid vertical grass bank. The impact actually drove some spokes out of the wheel and through the tyre. Happy days.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Went for a 1 hour ride on my fixie this morning in a howling gale and lashing rain.
I was passing some old tram lines on my route and managed to get the front wheel stuck in the groove! OOps!, yes on smack down my ass again.
sad.gif

On average I come off my bike about once a month with an average of 26-30 hrs riding per month and guess what, the more I fall off the harder the road becomes and it seems to be coming a habit with me!
Good thing was no damage to the bike or my riding clothes, just a few scrapes on my arm so no problem.
I was just wondering how often single speed and fixie riders come off on average OR IS IT SOMETHING YOU MACHO RIDERS OUT THERE DONT WANT TO ADMIT ?
rolleyes.gif

I've gone down on the fixed once, a raised paintline on the road encountered at a shallow angle (didn't see it because it was covered in snow). Otherwise it's rare, less than once every three years- even counting the time I came off three times during one snowy commute. Take snow out of the equation and it's almost never.

Zoiders

Almost never unless it's very very icy or I am trying a new section on the MTB.

People who manage to fall off all the time on the road just commuting or going for a pootle puzzle me.

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
Only once on the ice ! Went down with grace though and did'nt cry :whistle:

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
3 times in a year, twice hit by cars, the other time I stupidly tried to carry my suit in a suitbag on my back, the wind caught it, blew it around my body into the front wheel!

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
borls. Knew I'd hex myself posting in this thread.

came off this morning; ice, ice, baby. No harm done and only the birds and some sheep saw it.

monkeypony

Came off my bike on unexpected ice last Thursday. Can't ride again yet. It is my fist off on the ride bike for about 14 months though (not counting being hit by an HGV).

Had many offs on the MTB.

Top Bottom