Fallowfield Loop to Ashton Under Lyne

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

400bhp

Guru
I've got a meeting in Ashton next Tuesday and am thinking of pottering along on the hybrid.

I'm coming from the stretford direction and have been on the Fallowfield Loop as far as the A34 but don't know what the rest of the way is like up to Ashton.

I'd like some of you Manc commuters to help me out here - cheers.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Takes you as far as Fairfield - I get off just after bridge 13 near North Reddish on my way home. Fully tarmaced. Just watch the glass near Fallowfield Sainsburys.

I use it every day now. It's a good run, just be wary of suicidal squirrels and the odd dog.

PS it's suitable for a road bike, but not lightweight race tyres. 4 Seasons or Durano Plus are fine. It's the glass in places.

It's a nice 3.5 miles for me. I have 7 road, 3.5 on the Loop and 2 road to get to work. Loads of cyclists on it.

OP
OP
400bhp

400bhp

Guru
Cheers. I could take the road bike as there's showers where I'm visiting, but that makes it a bit more inflexible for my journey. I'm on 23mm's four season on the rear and GP4000s on the front. If off road then it's the canal from mine to Stretford and I won't be on the road bike along there. I can't potter along the road so will get sweaty.

I also might go into town from Ashton afterwards too.

biking_fox

Guru
I don't think it runs all the way to Ashton though? I've been North along as far as Gorton or so. It is all fine tarmac - but does shred road tyres if you're using it regularly, not just the glass. There are barriers every 3/4mile which get annoying after a while. From Gorton you can cut through obvious paths to the Ashton Canal which might be more use to you, although I've not ridden that northwards, it is more gravel than tarmac.#

I do Chorlton to Birchfields road on the Loop, and then into the city centre which is a pleasant 3 miles and a fast 3miles. A good balance.

OP
OP
400bhp

400bhp

Guru
Did this today. What a great access route around South Manchester:okay:

The cycle path layout to get off the loop into Ashton is pretty poor but that was expected.

Thanks for all the help. :hello:

Top Bottom