Family cycling help

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Johnno260

Johnno260

Veteran
Is there a trusted guideline for children’s bike sizes?

I found some nice Ridgebacks online and would like to double check my daughters height before I commit

She is 110cm tall, inner leg 46cm I think this points to a 16” wheel.

Last edited:

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Best one is sitting them on a bike, but inside leg measurement together with a decent bike designed for children (so not a long wheel base), is generally a good start.

They need to be able to touch the ground, have some clearance over the crossbar, be able to reach the handlebars easily, have brakes suitable for kids with small hands and look to see that there is some decent growing room in the seat post.

OP
OP
Johnno260

Johnno260

Veteran
Sat her on a 16” at Halfords and was perfect, they tried to suggest an 18” but I pointed out the reach was way too long.

Won the Ridgeback for £50 so I’m quite happy with that.

The stabilisers will be removed and possibly the pedals, may get her to use it as a balance bike for a little while.

Thanks for all the tips everyone.

NickNick

Sat her on a 16” at Halfords and was perfect, they tried to suggest an 18” but I pointed out the reach was way too long.

Won the Ridgeback for £50 so I’m quite happy with that.

The stabilisers will be removed and possibly the pedals, may get her to use it as a balance bike for a little while.

Thanks for all the tips everyone.

Not sure if you've read it before or not and whether or not its how you've already set up the stabilisers, but Sheldon has some advice on setting them up so the bike can lean a bit. Ignore if its how they are currently set up, but if you have them set up so the bike can't lean, might be worth doing for a bit before taking them off:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/teachride.html

OP
OP
Johnno260

Johnno260

Veteran
Not sure if you've read it before or not and whether or not its how you've already set up the stabilisers, but Sheldon has some advice on setting them up so the bike can lean a bit. Ignore if its how they are currently set up, but if you have them set up so the bike can't lean, might be worth doing for a bit before taking them off:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/teachride.html

I hadn’t seen that I will 100% take a look!

Cheers for that.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
No take them off... else they just use them... and that isn't learning to ride a bike. The balance bike way is the best way...:okay:

Top Bottom